ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How MQ achieve persistent messaging?

How MQ achieve persistent messaging? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
boydl
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: How MQ achieve persistent messaging? Reply with quote

Novice

Hi all,
I hv got a fundamental question to ask...
For persistent messaging, does MQ write to disk first and then sends the message across or does it do a send first b4 persisting to disk? Wont there be an IO overhead if it is the first case? Also, if it is the 1st case, how would it remove the message once the message is delivered?

What is the difference with JMS persistent and non-persistent messaging?

regards
blim
sebastianhirt
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi,

Check out this presentation. It has a nice little paragraph about how persistent messaging does work

http://irm.state.nc.us/NCSB/KnowledgeBase/MQTechConf/000-linked%20files/m37.pdf

Quote:
For persistent messaging, does MQ write to disk first and then sends the message across or does it do a send first b4 persisting to disk?

Every Persistent message is written twice to the disk. 1st to the log then to the queue file

Quote:
Wont there be an IO overhead if it is the first case?

Yes there is an IO Overhead. Check out the performance relate Fix Packs. There should be an evaluation on how big it is

Hope this helps
cheers

Sebastian
emiranda
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: How MQ achieve persistent messaging? Reply with quote

Disciple

boydl wrote:
Also, if it is the 1st case, how would it remove the message once the message is delivered?

I guess the qmgr knows the message was sucessful delivered (mca's negotiation) and deletes the message
EddieA
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Quote:
What is the difference with JMS persistent and non-persistent messaging?

The same as the difference with MQ persistent and non-persistent messages.
Quote:
I guess the qmgr knows the message was sucessful delivered (mca's negotiation) and deletes the message

Close. The MCA does a GET inside a UOW to transmit the message. When it gets conformation that the message has been received it commits the GET. This does the same kind of actions as described for the put. That causes the update of the log to say the message has been read, and then it removes it from the queue, as opposed to adding it. Again, more I/O overhead.

Cheers,
boydl
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks Sebastian for the URL ...it was very informative.
Thanks Emiranda and EddieA for yr response on the MQ removes messages from queue once it has been delivered.

Is there anywhere that i can go to.. to get more "under the hood" information on MQSeries?

regards
BL
emiranda
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Eventualy you can find some good discussion on the net. Personaly I don't have any other source than the IBM's manuals... the problem is we almost never have the time to go to the manuals and read them cool-headed, without a problem rushing you...

And, of course, play with it... as much as you can!

Cheerio
sebastianhirt
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Yeah, the manuals are really good. If you can pursuade your manager, let him send you to the various MQ classes at IBM.

I can recomend you the Clustering one (If you use clustering).
The MQ Admin II I found pretty good too. There you'll get a lot of "under the hood" information about channels, MCAs...

Some people here where saying the debugging techniques one is really good, too. But as I didn't visited it, I can't really give a statement.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How MQ achieve persistent messaging?
Jump to: