ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Advice on load balancing for Clients that both GET and PUT

Advice on load balancing for Clients that both GET and PUT « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mhubbard
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Advice on load balancing for Clients that both GET and PUT Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hello -

I fear that a lack of early understanding of clusters may have me in a hole and I could use some advice.

I have many client apps - (only about 1000 now, but scheduled to grow up to 20,000). These client apps do a GET on a "command" queue that is set up just for that client (each client app represents a machine in the field and each "command" queue holds commands that are to be run on it). Each client then posts results to a results queue.

In studying clustering, it appears to me that I have no option except to know absolutely on which queue manager a particular clients command queue lives. I had hoped that I would be able to connect to any queue manager in a cluster and then be able to obtain data from my command queue. My desire was to load balance all of the many incoming connections on several machines. I'm worried about having so many connections.

Is there any way around having to say "this group of clients go on this QM and this group goes on that QM"?

Thanks for any advice
Mike Hubbard
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

You can use Pub/Sub for this, and have the client applications connect to any particular queue manager that is available, register a subscription for a command queue on that queue manager, and then proccess commands that come in.

You can then use regular load balancing/failover processes for Client Connections (this is NOT related to Clustering) - such as a client connection table or logic in the client program...

Or without a pub/sub broker you can do this with a dynamic queue and a request/reply process that will register the dynamic reply queue as the command queue (a simplified pub/sub model). That is - have the client connect to a queue manager, open a new dynamic queue, send a request to the process that produces command messages (the server process) with the dynamic queue as the reply queue, and then have the server process send commands there.
mhubbard
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thank you so much for such a quick reply.

I can see how I might get the dynamic queue idea to work. It would take a little bit of modification of my app, but not too bad.

Where can I read about this Pub/Sub concept? I would like to consider this option also but I'm having trouble looking it up in any of the MQ books.

Thanks
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

The Using Java manual for MQ has some stuff.

Some of the documentation for the WBI Event and Message Broker products has discussion of building and designing pub/sub applications.

There is a support pack pub/sub broker that may have some discussion of pub/sub design and architecture in it's documentation.

There should be plenty of architecture and design discussions of pub/sub in the JMS world.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Advice on load balancing for Clients that both GET and PUT
Jump to: