ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Stopping 2 Full Repositories at the same time

Stopping 2 Full Repositories at the same time « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Stopping 2 Full Repositories at the same time Reply with quote

Poobah

GW1 is a partial repository QM that acts as a Gateway QM for the cluster.
FR1 is a Full Repository.
FR2 is a Full Repository.

There are no other QMs in the cluster.

FR1 and FR2 are WMQI 2.1 Brokers, and need to be upgraded to 5.0. Being in a MSCS, I am upgrading both nodes at the same time, meaning for a period of time the cluster will have no FRs. I am adding temporarily a 3rd WMQI server into the cluster to continue processing messages while FR1 and FR2 are being worked on. This 3rd Broker will be removed once FR1 and FR2 are back up.

To gracefully take out FR1 and FR2 from the clusters (after the 3rd temp broker is in the cluster), I was going to SUSPEND FR1, then stop the CLUSRCVR for FR1. Then I was going to SUSPEND FR2, and stop the CLUSRCVR to FR2. This would leave the cluster with no FRs. I have decided to make that 3rd temp Broker a FR itself (FR3) as soon as I add it to the cluster, and before FR1 or FR2 are removed.

Do I need to make FR3 a FR to keep the cluster happy as I take FR1 and FR2 out? On FR1 / FR2, if I SUSPEND the QM and then STOP the CLUSRCVR, will I have any problems? I plan on starting the CLUSRCVR, waiting till the channels go thru their long retry so they start up, and then issuing RESUME.

Finally, make FR3 a partial QM, remove it from the cluster per the manual, and issue REFRESH cluster on GW1 to clean up any Auto CLUSSNDRs to FR3.

Is this a good plan?
csmith28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Why not do FR1 then FR2 sequentially? Or verse vissa.....
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Some version differences force you to do all FR's at once.

Enjoy
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Customers will not allow us to have FR1 processing messages at 5.0 while FR2 is still at 2.1. Even if they did, being a MSCS Hardware cluster, we cannot have one version of Integrator running on Node1 while another version runs on Node2. If there was a failover, it would not work.

So both must be out of the cluster and upgraded to 5.0 before going back in the cluster.

FR3 will handle the work as 2.1 while we upgrade. Right before I add FR1 and FR2 back in as 5.0 Brokers, I will uncluster all queues on FR3. After FR1 and FR2 are handling the work, FR3 will be pulled.

In this fashion I know exactly when 2.1 processing ends and 5.0 begins. The outage window to the customers is less then 15 minutes.
csmith28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

OK, that explains it. Thanks and BTW, it sounds like a good plan.
dkirby30
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm doing something very similar and was wondering if you'd done this? If so, did you have to make FR3, the temporary queue manager, a full repository or not for this to work?

Thanks,
Daragh.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

General consensus from everyone I talked to is that is probably for the best to have FR3 be a full repository. That is how I will proceed when I do this in 2 weeks.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Stopping 2 Full Repositories at the same time
Jump to: