ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Clusters & Transmission queues

Clusters & Transmission queues « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sumeet
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Clusters & Transmission queues Reply with quote

Novice

Hello all,

I am a beginner to clusters and had some questions on clustering.

To give a background, we have multiple servers who need to communicate with each other. One option was to have multiple point to point connections (with multiple objects to create / administer), another was to use clusters (ease of administration).

1) Is it necessary that all queue managers that are part of a cluster, be always online (24x7)? I assume that should not be the same but wanted to be sure about it.

2) Assuming that queue managers can go offline from a cluster, what does one need to do if before a queue manager goes offline / comes back online?

3) If I understand correctly, instead of a multiple transmission queues (one for each destination) cluster queue managers have a common transmission queue. In case a queue manager within the cluster (QM1) is down and another queue manager (QM2) has to send messages to it, the message will be stored in the transmission queue of QM2. Since QM1 is down for some time, the messages would get piled up at XMITQ of QM2. My question is that if QM2 now starts sending out messages for QM3 (which is available online) will they have to wait till the messages for QM2 are cleared out from the transmission queue (FIFO rule?).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sumeet
Please note that I am looking at queue manager clusters only from ease of administration (less number of objects to create / administer) and not as a load balancing / failover option.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:

1) Is it necessary that all queue managers that are part of a cluster, be always online (24x7)? I assume that should not be the same but wanted to be sure about it.

No any QMs can be taken down at anytime. You should try to insure that at least 1 FullRepositiry QM is always up though, in case some QM in the cluster needs to ask the FR a question about a queue.

Quote:

2) Assuming that queue managers can go offline from a cluster, what does one need to do if before a queue manager goes offline / comes back online?

Nothing really. It handles itself quite nicely. You may want to issue the SUSPEND command for a QM before taking it down, and then RESUME when it is back up. Read the manual on these commands to see if it is worthwhile in your case.

Quote:

3) If I understand correctly, instead of a multiple transmission queues (one for each destination) cluster queue managers have a common transmission queue. In case a queue manager within the cluster (QM1) is down and another queue manager (QM2) has to send messages to it, the message will be stored in the transmission queue of QM2. Since QM1 is down for some time, the messages would get piled up at XMITQ of QM2. My question is that if QM2 now starts sending out messages for QM3 (which is available online) will they have to wait till the messages for QM2 are cleared out from the transmission queue (FIFO rule?).

No problem. A S.C.T.Q. has multiple MCAs pulling from it. The MCA to QM3 knows how to get only its messages (it does a GET by CorrelID, and the CorrelID of the messages on the XMITQ has the details needed to sort it all out), even if the XMIT queue has lots of messages waiting to go to other QMS.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Clusters & Transmission queues
Jump to: