ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » Preserving MQMD when 'copying' a message?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Preserving MQMD when 'copying' a message? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
vmcgloin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Preserving MQMD when 'copying' a message? Reply with quote

Knight

Hi,

Is it possible, using MQVE, to duplicate/copy/export a message such that the original can remain untouched and can also be stored on another queue? The 'copy' should have the same MQMD as the 'original'. We would like to preserve the context information such as UserId, PutApplType, ApplOriginData, PutTime/Date.

What I have tried, this morning, using MQVE 1.1.2 on NT:
Forward - preserves MQMD (incl. MsgId), but as it should it removes the message from the original queue. We use this often already.
Duplicate - appears to duplicate incl. MQMD until a 'refresh' is performed when it is shown that a new MQMD has been generated (but MsgId preserved).
Export/Import - generates new MQMD (incl MsgId), as documented since this is just exporting the data part of the message.
Backup/Restore - generates new MQMD (but MsgId preserved).
Copy/Paste - appears to insert a new message with whatever data I have in the clipboard regardless of message selected when 'copy message' is used. [I have not noticed this before so could it be a v1.1.2 issue?]

Thanks for your advice & time,
Vicky
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

Thanks for trying out MQ Visual Edit. Yes, MQ Visual Edit can do what you requested. Just do the following:
    - Select the messages to "backup"
    - Click File -> Backup Queue
    - Select the path and VEQ filename
    - Click the Save button.

To restore (reload) the messages from the single file then do the following:
    - Click File -> Restore Queue
    - Select the path and VEQ filename
    - Click the Open button

Ok, now to your other questions:

Quote:
Forward - preserves MQMD (incl. MsgId), but as it should it removes the message from the original queue. We use this often already.

Yes, Forward means to "move" a message from on queue to another queue.

Quote:
Duplicate - appears to duplicate incl. MQMD until a 'refresh' is performed when it is shown that a new MQMD has been generated (but MsgId preserved).

Hummm, I will look into this as this could be a bug. Followup: I just tested the Duplicate function and it works just fine (MQMD & message data were an exact copy). I verified it will MQExplorer & MQJExplorer. I think you may be confused about how the MQMD works. Each message has its own MQMD. It is the contents of each field of the MQMD header that is important

Quote:
Export/Import - generates new MQMD (incl MsgId), as documented since this is just exporting the data part of the message.

True, these functions are for plain text handling.

Quote:
Backup/Restore - generates new MQMD (but MsgId preserved).

Yes, this is what you need. I am not sure what you mean by "generates new MQMD"? MQ Visual Edit internally generates a new MQMD but it copies ALL of the message's original MQMD fields from the file and then puts the message to the queue. Therefore, the newly loaded messages should be EXACTLY the same as the original messages including all MQMD values.

Quote:
Copy/Paste - appears to insert a new message with whatever data I have in the clipboard regardless of message selected when 'copy message' is used. [I have not noticed this before so could it be a v1.1.2 issue?]

MQ Visual Edit uses the system's clipboard to store / retrieve cut, copy and paste information. Therefore, anything you put in the clipboard can be used between your desktop applications.
i.e. Copy a message and then paste it into Microsoft Word or copy data in Exceed and paste it in MQ Visual Edit.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Archives - All » Preserving MQMD when 'copying' a message?
Jump to: