ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Why does my MQClient occasionally crash on MQCONN

Why does my MQClient occasionally crash on MQCONN « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ant
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a VB DLL to call MQ Client 5.1 on Win NT4 ( SP6 ) workstations. The DLL is invoked from Siebel 2000 to handle messaging to MVS legacy systems.

Approximately 0.1% to 0.5% of calls to this DLL result in MQCONN crashing the MQClient and hence the DLL and Siebel.

The appears to be no common factor about the crashes and no way to get a handle on why they occur.

The only evidence is a Windows 'Exception Caught' dialog reporting:

"Unexpected exception 0xc00000005: access
violation reading from address 0x0016c000"

"Module: c:program filesmqseries clientbinamqrmqia.dll"

"address: 91D11BE ( no debug info )"

"The first stack frame is corrupt!!"

It then points one to the Event Viewer for more information - but no Event has been logged.

Anyone any ideas ? Is this a known issue requiring a patch ?

kolban
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The first thing I would do is to start an MQSeries trace (Client side) and see if you can capture a failure. By virtue of the fact that it is very non-deterministic, I am immediately suspicious about threading. Are you attempting to call the MQ APIs from multiple threads at the same time using the same connection handle?
ant
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been tempted to use trace but on any individual workstation the error only happens around once a week and the traces can get rather large.

the application is not thread enabled. each call to the DLL is completely discrete creating and using a whole new connection ( with new handle ) that is discarded at the end of the dialog - yes, not the most efficient way to do it - but encapsulated.

at the same time that this process can be called there is another MQ connection open from the same client - this connection remains open for the whole duration of the parent (Siebel) application session and does not have a similar problem.

is there a problem having multiple concurrent connections from an MQ Client ?
kolban
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

There should be no problem at all with having multiple connections open from the same NT/2000 process.

Could you stub a driver for your DLL that calls it repeatedly in a tight loop and see if the problem can recreate much faster?
bower5932
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

I found one hit that looks like it might be related to what you are seeing. Basically, it said to make sure that you filled in all 48 characters of the Qmgr name (padding if necessary).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ant
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Kolbans' stub idea - thanks - I'll give it a whirl.

I saw the 48 characters item - but thought "this is VB - and its a fixed length string in the MQ _DEFAULTS underlying definition so any characters moved in there should attract implied trailing spaces to the end of the string up to the Max size."
farteau
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am having the same exact problem than you and I'm still looking for answers.

Did you find something to fix your problem?
ant
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the loop and the process refuses to fail under test conditions on many hundreds of iterations.

As time was short - I decided to rework this process so it grabs and uses the MQ Queues which are held open by the other running process I mentioned ( since they are exposed as public objects ).

This seems to avoid rather than cure the issue I was having.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Why does my MQClient occasionally crash on MQCONN
Jump to: