ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQClient Connection: reading Channel Tab File

MQClient Connection: reading Channel Tab File « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Marisa_Rodel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the structure of the Channel Tab File, containging the information about a
MQClient connection, published? Or do any tools exist for automatically convert it into ascii?

And does anybody know if IBM has plans to support MQClient Connections with MQJava?

Thanks for any help
Marisa
kolban
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The format of the channel tab file is not published. No known tools to convert it to/form ascii. MQ Client connections are already supported with MQ Java including Base Java support and JMS.
Marisa_Rodel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Thanks for the answer.

Yes the MQClient Connection is implemented, but the Channel Tab File is not read in the MQJava or JMS implementation. And we don't want the hostnames etc. fix coded within the applications.

Cheers
Marisa
T.Rob
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Phil Moore of MSDW reverse-engineered the table structure and wrote a Perl Module to decompile/recompile them. He has a great section in the docs which explains the file structure in detail. Look on http://cpan.org for the MQSeries module.

We use the Perl module to compile arbitrary channel tables based on a menu. You don't even need MQSeries installed as long as you have the Perl module!

-- T.Rob
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Marisa,
I am not an expert on Java but the few applications I wrote made use of a properties file for storing MQ object names and other application parms (if I recall correctly, there was a Property class available for accessing the file). Keep in mind that your MQ Jaca Client code (not the bindings mode code) may probably run within a browser and thus have no access to the file system.

Reverse engineering of the AMQCLCHL.TAB file is definitely an exciting research task. However, I wouldn't rely on this information because the file format may (and will most likely?) change over time as IBM implements new client channel attributes/features and then your code may decide not to run anymore unless you go back to researching what the changes are or hope that the perl class (or whatever else you might use) gets updated in time.

My two cents, as always.
Cheers,
Stefan

[ This Message was edited by: StefanSievert on 2002-02-05 01:30 ]
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Guys, please correct me if I am wrong, but please review the below option that was told to me today by someone VERY knowledgable about MQ. It describes a method where Java would use a channel table for fail over connectivity. (I know very little JAVA, and I haven't had chance to test this, so bear with me here...)

For the MQC.TRANSPORT_PROPERTY, if you code the value MQC.TRANSPORT_MQSERIES_CLIENT, while at the same time leaving the MQEnvironment.Hostname variable blank, you will force your app to act like a client.
Since the hostname is blank, MQ then looks for the MQSERVER value, and if that is unavailable, it then looks for MQCHLLIB and MQCHLTAB variables (your channel table).

Note that this will only work for a JAVA app running as a client on a server where the channel table is known. (ie we have JAVA apps running on our Websphere servers that Client connect to our MQServers). This will not work for Java applets, since there is no channel table on the user's PC that may be accessing the code via a browser.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQClient Connection: reading Channel Tab File
Jump to: