ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » (Resolved)Two or One Full Repo QMGR for Cluster

(Resolved)Two or One Full Repo QMGR for Cluster « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Shalini
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: (Resolved)Two or One Full Repo QMGR for Cluster Reply with quote

Master

Hi All,

MQ5.3 CSD5 (Solaris: Hub) Windows 5.3 CSD5 (Spokes)

Currently we are just in phase for moving our QMGR in hub and spoke from non MQ cluster to MQ Cluster environment.

We have only one non MQ Cluster Hub QMGR (which is under Solaris O.S Cluster)

Is it feasibility to have MQ Cluster with only one full repository in the hub (Solaris), which still has O.S Sun Cluster for Hub QMGR.

MQ Cluster docs and lots of posts here recommend us to have two for Full Repository, but as we have the O.S Sun Cluster in hub do we really need two F.R QMR.

Can you please let me know any pros & cons of having one QMGR as F.R in hub with Sun cluster?

Or any one had the similar situation where they managed to Have two F.R QMGR in the hub in spite of have O.S Cluster for their Hub QMGR?

Please comment/sugest

sebastianhirt
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi, this is a quote out of some Trainingsmaterials, that I got from IBM.

Quote:
It is recomended to have two repositories for availability reasons. A cluster can function with only one full repository; clearly if it were to fail then difficulties could arise....

In fact, we had problems because of having only one full repository, only couple of weeks ago...

Now we have 2 of them...

My feeling is, that it is a good idea to have at least 2.

Hardwareclusters do not prevent full repositories from beeing screwed up.

Hope this helps...

cheers

Sebastian
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

It is good practice to have two full repositories. That way, you can do maintenance on one of them and not interrupt cluster traffic.

Unless things have changed, there is no benefit from having more than two FRs. You don't get any more performance or availability. The only reason to have more than two is for network topology reasons - there are portions of your network that don't have good availability to the FRs.
basa_bbc
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Two Full Repositories Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hello ,

Could any body help me in configuring Two full repositories or any doc. which explains this.

As i understand for 2 full repositories we have to define a Cluster sender channel between both the full repositories. But how does this handle the Load Balancing,

For Failover we have already planned to go ahead with Cluster Work Load exit.

Regards,
Bbc
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Read the MQ Cluster Manual.
sebastianhirt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi,

you might want to check out the clustering manual which you can oblige from the IBM homepage.

Yes it is right that you have to install Cluster Sender and Receiver Channels between the FRs. You cannot used the Automatic generated Cluster Sender channels (DEFTYPE(CLUSSDRA)), because they would not exchange Repository information.

But the FRs have not very much to do with work load balancing.

The standard work load balancing is working with the round roubin (Yes I think that's the name?!) mechanism. This is basicaly just to have more then one instances of a queue in a cluster. The messages are then distributed to the different instances.

The other way is to program a Cluster Workload Exit. Information for this is also available in the Clustering Documentation. This you would need to spcify then in your channels. But as I have never used this, this is pretty much all I know about it.

Hope this helps

Sebastian
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Two Full Repositories Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

basa_bbc wrote:
For Failover we have already planned to go ahead with Cluster Work Load exit.

I don't think that will really provide failover.
basa_bbc
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

You cannot used the Automatic generated Cluster Sender channels (DEFTYPE(CLUSSDRA)).

Sebastain,

You mentioned this in the previous mail. Does this also mean that for repository information to be exchanged b/w FR and PR there has to be a defined Cluster Sender Channel and Cluster Receiver channel is it? or just defining a Cluster Receiver channel will do the trick for the repository.

Regards,

BBC
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

basa_bbc wrote:
Does this also mean that for repository information to be exchanged b/w FR and PR there has to be a defined Cluster Sender Channel and Cluster Receiver channel is it? or just defining a Cluster Receiver channel will do the trick for the repository.

Please read the MQ Cluster manual.
sebastianhirt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Quote:
You cannot used the Automatic generated Cluster Sender channels (DEFTYPE(CLUSSDRA)), because they would not exchange Repository information

That's what I said. You have to manualy define them. The automatic ones are not doing the trick.

Here you find further information.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/integration/mqfamily/library/manualsa/

@ jefflowrey

I agree, it is not a failover. But I think you can cover some 'this could go wrong' scenarios with it.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » (Resolved)Two or One Full Repo QMGR for Cluster
Jump to: