ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Using DFDL to create a structure

Using DFDL to create a structure « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
gfrench
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject: Using DFDL to create a structure Reply with quote

Acolyte

I have a simple DFDL and which has a sequence

ACK_Indicator, 1 character string, either a '0' or '1'
Choice (choice dispatch key ACK_Indicator)
ACK string, fixed value 'ACK' (choice branch key 0)
NACK. string, fixed value 'NACK' (choice branch key 1)

I want to use this to build a structure, that if I set the ACK_Indicator = 0 I get the ACK element and if I set ACK_Indicator = 1 I get the NACK element

When I use Choice Dispatch Key set to point to the ACK_Indicator it seems it correctly parses either the ACK or NACK elements correctly based on the Choice Branch

When constructing a message it works and dynamically creates the ACK when I set 0 but not for NACK. If I put the NACK element above the ACK it works for NACK and not ACK.

Does Choice Dispatch Key only work for parsing?

Second question, is can i dynamically create a time field with the CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in it?

I think I am going to have to resort to ESQL, but thought I would just check if someone has more experience of DFDL, as documentation is a little sketchy.

Thanks
timber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Would you mind supplying an example input document and the resulting message tree?

Quote:
Does Choice Dispatch Key only work for parsing?
Correct - as far as I remember, it's an optimisation for parsing only. When writing, you need to use outputValueCalc to calculate the value of the ACK_Indicator field based on the contents of the message tree.

Quote:
can i dynamically create a time field with the CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in it?
Where do you want to create it? Obviously, you can easily create a field in the message tree and set its value using CURRENT_TIMESTAMP. But you probably know that already
gfrench
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Sorry for slow reply..and thanks for response

I will play around and see if I can work out how to use OutputValueCalc.

The date I wanted to create as a default value in the output from the DFDL.

Basically I have a fixed length field structure (used comma below easier to demo it) which I need to build and add into an XML field. Some fields can be defaulted, some fields need setting. I could just set OutputRoot.XMLSC...myfield = 'ACK,00,20231124', however the structure has a few more fields so I would like to set just the second field 00, then bitstream the DFDL to defult the other values. If 00 then ACK, if 01 then NACK.

I think DFDL works better at parsing than constructing, but will play around some more. thanks

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Using DFDL to create a structure
Jump to: