ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » WebSphere MQ 5.3 Express

WebSphere MQ 5.3 Express « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: WebSphere MQ 5.3 Express Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

So you may or you may not have heard, but IBM announced WebSphere MQ Express. The product is targeted at the SMB and falls into IBM's Express Line. (which includes WebSphere AS Express and DB2 UDB Express, etc...)

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/integration/wmq/express/

Last night it turned up on PartnerWorld and decided to give it a spin...

So here is the good, the bad and the ugly...

The Good
no worries about another version it is exactly the same product as WebSpere MQ 5.3 and the initial delivery is the same as the last product CD for 5.3 (CSD1 level)...
There is an install which is the same but they squeezed in the word Express...
Software prerequisites are checked using the installer and if you don't meet the requirements (like MSI 2.0 installer, 128-bit cipher security)
it won't let you continue...

So click on 'internet' for the install of these additional components and you end up on the Microsoft Homepage... not the specific links. I searched and searched but didn't find the references to MSI 2.0 or 128-bit cipher...

So used the 'axe' method and did a Windows Update (I did this on a clean W2000 partition under VMWare...) installed SP4 and voilá MSI 2.0 installer and 128-bit Cipher were present...

(free hint to IBM, if this package is meant for the SMB ... refer to installing SPx for W2000 or XP ... I don't know in which SP these packages are included but I am sure you will be able to find out... )

Continued the installation and awaited not needing my MQ skills as the announcement letter promised in the Overview
http://www-3.ibm.com/fcgi-bin/common/ssi/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&appname=Demonstration&htmlfid=897/ENUS203-258

The Bad
Altough there is a QuickTour, which looks very nice there is only the getting started Wizard from the postcard application... That's not going to help an untrained SMB person... (IMHO).

The Ugly
a number of samples in the Quicktour on how to use runmqsc... not very helpful...

Then the restrictions:
- The program is licensed to run only on a uniprocessor machine (that is, a machine with no more than a single CPU)
- No more than 10 server-to-server queue manager channels may be active concurrently
- No more than 10 server-to-client channels may be active concurrently
- No extended transactional clients may be connected to this server
- Message size may not exceed four megabytes

In the WebSphere MQ Express center there is a comment which I still need to figure out:
Quote:
A single channel pair between two queue managers counts as 2 channel connections.

Probably means you can connect to 5 other QueueManagers Maximum.

Don't worry ... it is a licencing issue and not a technical restriction, so if you go to 6 queuemanagers all you need to do is purchase the full WebSphere MQ license!

Pricing: the announcement letter says to contact your IBM representative...
I did a lookup on the online shopping catalog of IBM and MQ Express is approximatly 55% of the MQ list price.

Conclusion: other then a pricing thing nothing to drop out of your chair...

After applying the additional Service CD (which is actually MQ 5.3 CSD4)
the mqver reported exactly the same as my full MQ installation.

(another free hint for IBM: Installing the CSD on Express causes the same stupid failures as on full MQ... if any MQ process is running, even the MQ tray in the taskbar... it simply says MQ is still running and quits...
Why not use the same as on DB2??? If you find processes running offer the user a choice to stop the processes and continue...)

I hope a saved everybody a lot of time with this report.

Michael
Niederheiser
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: WebSphere MQ 5.3 Express Reply with quote

You will find the Prereqs on the Microsoft home page if you search for MSI (this will show you links to 'Download Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable ...'). And if you search for 128-bit you will find the link to
Quote:
Download 128-bit Internet Explorer (Windows and Macintosh)
Hope this helps.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » WebSphere MQ 5.3 Express
Jump to: