ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Bidirectional text in the queue

Bidirectional text in the queue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
hooman24
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Bidirectional text in the queue Reply with quote

Apprentice

We are trying to insert Bidirectional text into a queue(Arabic+English). Content in Arabic which is RTL includes an inline English phrase which is in the opposite direction(LTR).
I didn't find any property in the queue or qmgr to force direction. It seems application programs could dictate text direction. Using MQ explorer to put/browse message always result bad shape message. Is there any way to force all messages to be Right-To-Left?
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bidirectional text in the queue Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

hooman24 wrote:
I didn't find any property in the queue or qmgr to force direction.

Because neither the queue manager nor the queue care about direction. They are mostly blind to message content unless you explicitly set the descriptor to indicate it's a string, when in some circumstances they'll translate character set.

hooman24 wrote:
It seems application programs could dictate text direction.

They could and should.

hooman24 wrote:
Using MQ explorer to put/browse message always result bad shape message.

MQ Explorer is just displaying the message contents. It really doesn't care about direction any more than the queue or the queue manager does.

hooman24 wrote:
Is there any way to force all messages to be Right-To-Left?

No, because as I've tried to explain above, messages don't have a concept of direction and really don't have much of a concept of text.
hooman24
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thank you vitor for your nice clarification.
So if I understand correctly, because message is not a text ,we cannot manipulate it like a string. However programmer can add some message description to add extra behavior to it(This message is a string and should be RTL), and application can browse this message and read description and realize this message is a RTL string.
So If I'm right, it is better that the message producer put correct formatted string into the queue so consumer can read.
The main point here is that MQ will NOT change format of input message AT ALL.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

hooman24 wrote:
Thank you vitor for your nice clarification.
So if I understand correctly, because message is not a text ,we cannot manipulate it like a string. However programmer can add some message description to add extra behavior to it(This message is a string and should be RTL), and application can browse this message and read description and realize this message is a RTL string.
So If I'm right, it is better that the message producer put correct formatted string into the queue so consumer can read.

Depending on the target system (really more target ccsid) and type (windows vs Unix/ Linux) you may see changes in a "String" formatted message (MQFMT_STRING). Mostly the EOL (end of line) changing from x0d0a to x0a only or vice versa.... This is expected behavior. You may also have a conversion between EBCDIC and ASCII or UTF-8 etc... That too is expected behavior...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

hooman24 wrote:

Yes, using markup or similar at their discretion.

hooman24 wrote:

Especially if (as you indicated in your original post) you have a mixture of LTR & RTL in the same message. Parsing that without hints from the producer is going to be a lot of work.

hooman24 wrote:

As I and my worthy associate have mentioned, if the message is tagged by the sender as being MQFMT_STRING and the necessary code page conversion table is available to the queue manager and the consumer explicitly requests it from the queue manager, then the queue manager will attempt a simple code page conversion as my associate describes.

If any of these conditions are not met, the message payload will be delivered unchanged. So for example, if there is a conversion table available and the consumer requests that conversion is performed, a message with a format of MQFMT_NONE will be delivered unchanged.
hooman24
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thank you Vitor and fjb_saper for your help.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Bidirectional text in the queue
Jump to: