ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Another question about MQ monitoring tools

Another question about MQ monitoring tools « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
swiming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Another question about MQ monitoring tools Reply with quote

Dear all,

As a fresher, I learned a lot from the forum. Here I have another question about MQ monitoring tools.

My client want us to develop a simply monitoring and managing tools. The tools should monitor status of MQ manager queues and channals to see if channals are avaiable. The tools should start and stop Q managers and channels. So I decide to write the tools by using PCF.

So I want to ask:

1. Must I develop an agent to be installed at every distributed endpoint to send status data to center point and receive command from center point? I notice that some 3party tools don't need any agent. How do they work? How to start the channels from center point if the channel isn't avaiable?

2. Which events should be monitored to find out the status of channels and Q mamagers? Is there anty sample code?

I'll appreciate if anyone give some advice or sample code. You can reach me by Shi_weimin@sina.com

Thanks again.
Henry
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Sample PCF code in Java is in the Sep 1999 issue of MQ Update, this is free (anyone who wants to subscribe to later issues please contact me for a discount code).

www.xephon.com/mq
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

When it comes to starting and stopping channels and qms from a remote environment, what you have to consider is what's actually up and running.

If you're trying to start a queue manager that is stopped, you are going to end up needing some way of running commands on that box locally. This is why a lot of monitoring tools end up having agents - it gives them something to talk to when everything else is shut down. I don't know for sure, but I imagine that any monitoring tools that don't use an agent are taking advantage of some sort of built-in remote command processing capabilty of the OS.

If you think about it, the more pieces of the queue manager that are shut down, the less you can do without using an agent style piece or logging onto the machine directly.

Although, if you know how to build messages with an MQTRC or MQTRC2 format, a standard client trigger monitor makes a good (but very INSECURE) agent.
swiming
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: re:Another question about MQ monitoring tools Reply with quote

Hello Jeff Lowrey,

Thank for your response. I deceide to write a agent at the front point, and we will forbid any remote control unless through the agent, no matter by MQ remote control or by OS remote control. I think it shound be more secure.

What is a standrad client trigger monitor? Cound you share more about it?

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards
Henry
swiming
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: sample code Reply with quote

zpat,

Thank for youe code. Do you have any sample PCF code in C?
zpat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

No, but there might be some in a support pac somewhere.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Quote:
What is a standrad client trigger monitor? Cound you share more about it?

I meant, for example, runmqtrc. That is to say, any generic trigger monitor that functions with a client connection, rather than running on the queue manager server.

My basic point is that the job of any trigger monitor is to start a process that is described by a message on a queue. While it is convenient that the queue manager will create these messages for you, it is not a requirement.

Anyone who has put authority to the initiation queue can cause any application that the trigger monitor process has the authority to start if they know how to create a trigger message (which is in the documentation).
sc
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

zpat,

I checked the MQ update site but cannot find the code that mentioned in your reply. Could you post the link again?

Thank you very much.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Another question about MQ monitoring tools
Jump to: