ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Stateless vs Stateful and Transactional vs Non-Transactional

Stateless vs Stateful and Transactional vs Non-Transactional « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Stateless vs Stateful and Transactional vs Non-Transactional Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

In many other forums including this, stateless and stateful web services architecture and design has been discussed in the past.

I wanted to bring it to the discussion again to understand the concept of stateless vs non-transactional messages as far as Web services (non-RESTful) are concerned.
Some of the Web Services (SOAP based) use Facade Services/Patterns using WebSpere MQ, whereas Non-facade Services (i.e. general Web Services) use SOAP/HTTP Protocol.

Would it be correct to say that to avoid the long running transactions (using single thread transaction for long running transaction), services can/should be implemented using MQ to PUT/GET messages from the MQ Queues to avoid Transactional behavior of the Service for long running transaction (also from Performance perspective) ? Also, these kind of Services will be called as Stateless Services ?

For example:

Web Service 1, Message Flow 1
Consumer Request --> (SOAP) --> WebService-1, Message Flow-1 --> MQ Queue (PUT)

Web Service 1, Message Flow 2
MQ Queue (GET) --> (SOAP Request) --> Service Provider

In this example, one web service has got two message flows, one is exposed as SOAP and another using MQ.
First one simply exposed to the Consumer over SOAP protocol and put the incoming messages to the MQ Queue and ends the thread/transaction.
Second flow, simply picks the message from that Queue and send it to provider as a SOAP call (for which it receives the SOAP response back, which gets logged (assume) and ends the thread/transaction).

Overall WebService, I believe is stateful cause it depends on the response from the Provider Service. Whereas flow1 is stateless and flow2 is stateful. Both the flows logically aren't to support long running transactions and purposefully end the thread as soon as the Unit of work is done.

Kindly suggest if my understanding differs with yours and there is more into stateless/stateful vs transactional/non-transactional messages.

Thank You in advance.
Happy New Year.

bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

What did you learn from the other forums?
shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

bruce2359 wrote:
What did you learn from the other forums?

Different forums have different terminology to describe stateless/stateful pattern but none of them describe it with transaction/non-transactional behavior of the service.
Anyway... what I learnt from the other forums is summarized as if service is holding the data or waiting for some data to react/respond/transform accordingly, it will be called a stateful service cause the state of service depends on the nature of data.
If service doesn't depend on the state of data it will be called a stateless.
But again, they (other forums) talk about database, cache of data by client and/or server services/apps and their sessions, to further describe the concepts of stateful and stateless (with no reference to transactional/non-transactional messages).

Hence, I requested to suggest/share the point of view on this.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Stateless vs Stateful and Transactional vs Non-Transactional
Jump to: