ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » global cache complete vs sparse

global cache complete vs sparse « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: global cache complete vs sparse Reply with quote

Yatiri

I read in the link below that extreme scale can be used as a complete or sparse cache.

[url]
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSTVLU_8.6.1/com.ibm.websphere.extremescale.doc/cxsintegrate.html[/url]

Can the embedded global cache within the broker be used as a complete cache?

we want the cache to hold the entire content of a database.

Is this possible?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

I'd look at memory resident DB's as an alternative.

It can take some time to load all that data into the cache after startup. That can cause processing delays.
How are you handling updates to the DB and the replication of the changes to the cache data back into the DB itself?

Using a DB have has the ability to work in memory will save you all this "re-inventing of the wheel"

anyway, a decent POC would prove the usefulness (or not) of doing what you want to do.

I did one with IIB8 (or was it IIB9???) and found that it didn't give us much of an improvement if anything. IT also took us longer to fail over our HA environment because of the cache loading times. And we restricted using the cache to read only data so we didn't have any real time DB sync issues.

YMMV and probably will.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
paustin_ours
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

any suggestions on In memory databases that i can look at? There are a whole lot. Essentially i would like it to front our Oracle database and receive updates when there are db events on Oracle and update the in memory cache accordinly.

I see H2, ehcache and a lot others.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

websphere app server has an edition that comes with the previously separate eXtreme Scale, that is more or less the same as the broker global cache. This would allow you to have a separate thing that didn't need to restart when the broker did. But I forget if you can still create a configurable service for that.

In general, you may have difficulty mapping a relational database to something that's a document oriented/noSQL database... And as my esteemed colleague says, you have to think about how to do updates/etc.

It may be worth the time to discuss memory caching with your dbas, to see if they can do improvements on your lookup times...
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

There is a whole raft of information on the ORacle site about this sort of stuff.

Here's one to be going on with
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13085_01/timesten.1121/e14261/arch.htm

you really need to sit down with your Oracle team and work together on this. Otherwise just see my sig below for what will happen

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » global cache complete vs sparse
Jump to: