ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Migrating cluster REPO to V9

Migrating cluster REPO to V9 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Migrating cluster REPO to V9 Reply with quote

Knight

We are planning to migrate a V8 cluster to V9 with minimum interruption. I have a test cluster (CL1) on Windows with 5 V8 Qmgrs (QM1,QM2,QM3,QM4,QM5) for testing.
QM1 is the primary REPO (i.e. all QM has a defined cluster sender Channel to QM1) and QM2 is the secondary REPO.I install MQ V9 on the server of QM2 side by side to the existing V8. V8 is the primary installation (installation1) and V9 is installation2.
V8 is installation1 and V9 is installation2
what I did on the QM2 server was
setmqenv -n installation1
endmqm QM2

setmqenv -n installation2
setmqm -m QM2 -n installation2
The setmqm command completed successfully.

strmqm QM2

QM2 successfully come up as a V9 Qmgr. Display QMGR shows CMDLEVEL(902).

However after the migration, I fond out that the auto defined clussdr to QM2 are all in stopped status.
For example,
RUNMQSC QM3
DIS CLUSQMGR(QM2) CHANNEL(TO.QM2) STATUS(STOPPED)

START CHL(TO.QM2)
AMQ8227: Channel not found

I did refresh cluster(CL1) from partial repository (QM2, QM4, QM5) and also from primary repository (QM1) with no luck.

The cluster sender and cluster receiver channel between QM1 and QM2 are showing as running. So the test cluster is broken after the migration.

I am still investigating on what the problem is. Just like to do a quick check to s.see if some one notice any steps that I missed in what I did. One thing that I missed is remove QM2 from cluster first before transferring it to V9. But I do not see that being called out as needed in the info center. Perhaps I did not read careful enough.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You checked comms between QM1 and QM2.
Did you also check comms between QM2 and QM1 after QM2 was upgraded?

What happens if you make QM2 a partial member and then again a FR?

What happens if you migrate QM1 before migrating QM2 ?

KIT_INC
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

All 5 QMgrs are on the same Windows server. the cluster was working fine before and all clusqmgrs status were running before I move QM2 to V9. I assume that there is no network issue after the change.
I need to come up with the implementation plan fast, I recreated the cluster and repeat the migration task. But this time, I remove QM2 from the cluster first. Did the migration and put QM2, now V9, back to the cluster as secondary FR. This time everything works. So I'll use this is the steps for my migration.
Once I have time, I'll repeat the problem scenario (i.e. upgrade without taking QM2 off the cluster) and debug.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

KIT_INC wrote:
All 5 QMgrs are on the same Windows server. the cluster was working fine before and all clusqmgrs status were running before I move QM2 to V9. I assume that there is no network issue after the change.
I need to come up with the implementation plan fast, I recreated the cluster and repeat the migration task. But this time, I remove QM2 from the cluster first. Did the migration and put QM2, now V9, back to the cluster as secondary FR. This time everything works. So I'll use this is the steps for my migration.
Once I have time, I'll repeat the problem scenario (i.e. upgrade without taking QM2 off the cluster) and debug.

Quote:
Assumption is the mother of all f... ups
(Steven Seagall movie Dark Territories). In other words, check and recheck again...

Looks like you found the right sequence for your upgrade.
Have fun
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Having to remove a Full Repository Queue Manager from the cluster just to upgrade it is not right.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
Having to remove a Full Repository Queue Manager from the cluster just to upgrade it is not right.

PeterPotkay is right.

I have re-tested it again. My original steps works (i.e. just end the qmgr and do a setmqm to transfer to V9, no need to take FR off cluster). I think the reason for the channel in stopped status has to do with using 'localhost' in the conname. My environment is win7 and win7 is doing a DNS lookup even for localhost and that caused the problem. There was no error in the MQ log until I try to use the V8 explorer to connect to the V9 QMgr and failed. The error logs gave me the DNS lookup time out error. In the second test which was successful, I use computer name of my WIN7 laptop as the hostname instead of localhost and I also updated /etc/host to ensured that ipaddress can be resolved. I made this 2 changes at the same time. I don't know which one fixed the problem or I need both.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You might just as well have disabled reverse DNS lookup... but then that could seriously impact your channel auth records...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Migrating cluster REPO to V9
Jump to: