ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Connection problems

Connection problems « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ptolomeoo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm seeking help on this issue.

I have a consumer (based on listener) that eventually stops receiving events from the MQSeries queue.

The consumer keeps working (traces show it's alive) and the queue keeps receiving messages but the consumer is like a zombie, and doesn't consume any message.

When doing tests, we had no problems detecting disconnections or the queue being shut down, and it keeps trying to reconnect until the queue is up again.

Because of this problem, we wanted to try a different and more robust approach:
- Polling continuously for messages, and disconnecting and reconnecting if we end the timeout without receiving any message.
- Keeping the listener approach doing a ping to the queue every 'x' minutes. This would guarantee that the queue is up, but wouldn't guarantee that we keep receiving the events.

What are your expert recommendations to solve this polling problem? I don't trust the event listener and want a secondary, backup to test if my connection is OK.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ptolomeoo wrote:

I have a consumer (based on listener) that eventually stops receiving events from the MQSeries queue.

The consumer keeps working (traces show it's alive) and the queue keeps receiving messages but the consumer is like a zombie, and doesn't consume any message.

When doing tests, we had no problems detecting disconnections or the queue being shut down, and it keeps trying to reconnect until the queue is up again.

- Polling continuously for messages, and disconnecting and reconnecting if we end the timeout without receiving any message.
- Keeping the listener approach doing a ping to the queue every 'x' minutes. This would guarantee that the queue is up, but wouldn't guarantee that we keep receiving the events.

What are your expert recommendations to solve this polling problem? I don't trust the event listener and want a secondary, backup to test if my connection is OK.

That's what the exception listener is for. You open a queue and set a message listener on it. Set at the same time an exception listener on the connection. The exception listener should fire in the event of a disconnection... You may have to reduce your TCP/IP timeout from the default 2 hours to something like 5 mins though to detect problems faster...

Have fun
ptolomeoo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjb_saper wrote:
ptolomeoo wrote:

That's what the exception listener is for. You open a queue and set a message listener on it. Set at the same time an exception listener on the connection. The exception listener should fire in the event of a disconnection... You may have to reduce your TCP/IP timeout from the default 2 hours to something like 5 mins though to detect problems faster...

Have fun

Thank you very much Sir, for the fast and accurate response.

Actually it makes sense that the timeout problem would arise after 2 hours but as we detect the problem earlier (if the number of messages in the queue only increases, it triggers an alarm), we thought we were not receiving the Exception events properly.

I will do some testing trying to reduce the default TCP/IP timeout to 5 minutes to see if this solves our problems.
ptolomeoo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: How to properly reduce the TCP timeout in a MQ Connection? Reply with quote

Setting MQQueueConnectionFactory methods:
setClientReconnectTimeout(seconds)
and
setStatusRefreshInterval(milliseconds)

would be enough to reduce the TCP timeout?

Is there any other recommended way to do it?

TIA.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to properly reduce the TCP timeout in a MQ Connectio Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ptolomeoo wrote:
Setting MQQueueConnectionFactory methods:
setClientReconnectTimeout(seconds)
and
setStatusRefreshInterval(milliseconds)

would be enough to reduce the TCP timeout?

Is there any other recommended way to do it?

TIA.

The TCP/IP timeout is set at the OS level in the TCP/IP stack. The default usually is around 2 hours...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Connection problems
Jump to: