ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » How to install mq early code

How to install mq early code « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
YuliaVaisman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: How to install mq early code Reply with quote

We have mq 7.1 on zOS running in QSG.
We would like to upgrade it to mq 8.
Installation guide is talking about installing mq 8 early code first.As far as I understand first I need to bring up mq 8 libraries , to take from those mq 8 libraries mq early code modules and to restart all mqms(still in 7.1) in qsg using mq 8 early code.Then I can migrate first mq in qsg to mq 8.Later on I can migrate the second qm to version 8.
Am I right? Our system guys have a problem having in parallel mq 7.1 and mq 8 libraries.

Thanks
Yulia
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You are wrong.

The entire point of early code is to enable MQ V/R/M co-existence without affecting existing qmgrs.

Follow ibm's early code installation instructions precisely. Startup procs for 7.1 willl remain 7.1 libraries.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to mainframe forum.
dogbert64
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Yulia,

Here are the main steps I follow to rollout the MQ v9.0 Early Code to our MQ v7.1 QSG.

A note, we are running z/OS 2.2, with all the MQ libraries in Linklist/LPA. No MQ datasets accessed via Steplib or Joblib. SYS1.PARMLIB is shared amongst all LPARs in the Sysplex/QSG. Also, institutional differences will allow for a variation on the instructions. I chose simply to keep it simple. Also, this list assumes that all SMP/E work has been completed.

1) Copy the MQ v9.0 SCSQLINK and SCSQSNLE libs to the target Sysplex

2) Update the SYS1.PARMLIB(PROG00) member to remove APF authorization for v7.1 SCSQLINK/SCSQSNLE libraries

3) Update the SYS1.PARMLIB(PROG00) member to add APF authorization for v9.0 SCSQLINK/SCSQSNLE libraries

4) Update the SYS1.PARMLIB(LPAPST00) member to remove from LPA the MQ v7.1 SCSQLINK/SCSQSNLE libraries

5) Update the SYS1.PARMLIB(LPAPST00) member to add to LPA the MQ v9.0 SCSQLINK/SCSQSNLE libraries

6) Have Operators IPL target LPAR

7) Validate MQ on the target LPAR (run IVP and other methods)

8) Repeat steps 6 & 7 for each target LPAR

After this is complete, we are running MQ v9.0 Early Code across the QSG, with each queue manager still at MQ v7.1. Hope this helps.

[Edited to add a small, but important omission]

Last edited by dogbert64 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

dogbert64 wrote:

A note, we are running z/OS 2.2, with all the MQ libraries in Linklist/LPA. No MQ datasets accessed via Steplib or Joblib.

IBM's usual recommendation is for the highest level early code library to be available to all via LNKLST. The other version-specific libraries should be in startup JCL proc..

Did I misunderstand?
dogbert64
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

When I was researching the IBM MQ v7.1 to 9.0 upgrade docs I didn't see that mentioned. Though there were so many upgrade docs and links I could have missed it.

I've used the method I listed to upgrade from MQ v6.0 --> 7.0.1 --> 7.1 --> 9.0 with no issues so far.

I roll out the the new versions of Early Code libraries in the LPA, and leave the older versions in the Linklist.

Later on, I come behind and perform the "rest" of the upgrade replacing the older version in the Linklist with the new version, among other tasks. As best as I can tell, the IBM docs are okay doing it that way.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The older versions of what? The early code? The version-specific datasets? All of them? All with the same DDNAME?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I continue:
Oddly, the usual recommendation is to put the most current MQ version libraries in LPA, and have lower versions in JOBLIB/STEPLIB in startup procs. I prefer that only early code be in LPA, and JOBLIB/STEPLIB the other libraries. Why, you ask?

LPA improves program fetch performance by making executables visible in ALL address spaces. In practical terms, there is little need to have all of MQ available in all address spaces, since qmgr code doesn't run in all address spaces, and executables are fetched once at qmgr startup.
cicsprog
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

In your current xxxxMSTR, look for message CSQ3111I. Look up that message.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » How to install mq early code
Jump to: