ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Integrate IIB V10 with IoT and PMQ

Integrate IIB V10 with IoT and PMQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
SDS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Integrate IIB V10 with IoT and PMQ Reply with quote

Apprentice

The requirement is to send the data generated from IoT to PMQ and vice versa using IIB V10.
I don't have any knowledge on IoT and PMQ.
Could anyone please guide me how to start on this?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

IoT is a minefield of incompaitbilities and insecurities.

The place to start is to read the specs of the IoT device/devices and see what protocols they use. Then match that to what IIB uses.
Then setup a POC to see if what the specs of the IoT things say they use[1], they actually use and get it working in a simple form with IIB.

You may learn a lot about IoT and may even reconsider your adoption of the devices.
Don't forget to look at the security of the IoT devices especially the default telnet and FTP accounts. Can you secure them? If not then frankly IMHO you should just take a big hammer to them.

[1] In my limited experience, the spec of one IoT device I looked at said that it used HTTP. Wireshark showed that the device was using delimited TCP/IP.
That device was sent to recycling because it was impossible to secure from Telnet hacking. i.e. the 'root' account password was readily available on the internet and you could not change it.
There was no way that this type of device could be used in a commercial environment.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

"IoT" is not a product.

It's an idea. It will be implemented by different devices in different ways. The service end (the part that the devices connect to) will be implemented in different ways, depending entirely on who provides that service.

If you do not understand *either* of the products, then you either need to insist on training, or insist on detailed specifications about the input and output messages - including the protocol - and detailed information on the logic needed to perform the transformation.

I have no idea what PMQ is. I don't care, either. It's an endpoint for IIB. It speaks some protocol and accepts data in some format.
adubya
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Can you program the IoT devices of are you dealing with third-party "products" ?

MQTT is a protocol supported by some IoT devices and is handled by MQ + IIB.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

adubya wrote:
Can you program the IoT devices of are you dealing with third-party "products" ?

MQTT is a protocol supported by some IoT devices and is handled by MQ + IIB.

Actually, IIB has MQTT nodes... Probably better to use them directly... unless you have MessageSight...
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

IoT in my eyes is at this point in time only used by

Idiots
Or
Twits

This may (or may not) change over time

It is as has been seaid in idea mostly for home automation. Most of the time it is very poorly implemnted especially with respect to security and ... well everything.

No IoT device will ever be installed in my home.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
ruimadaleno
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

IOT criticism apart ..

First step should be: understand what protocols IOT device supports , then what kind of message formats it allows.

does it "talk" http ? maybe https (pushing ) ? does it use some kind of proprietary interface/protocol ? does it send/receive json messages ? plain text ?

After gathering this knowledge you should be able to understand what broker/iib nodes you should use to integrate with this IOT device.

Rui Madaleno
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

ruimadaleno wrote:
IOT criticism apart ..

First step should be: understand what protocols IOT device supports , then what kind of message formats it allows.

does it "talk" http ? maybe https (pushing ) ? does it use some kind of proprietary interface/protocol ? does it send/receive json messages ? plain text ?

After gathering this knowledge you should be able to understand what broker/iib nodes you should use to integrate with this IOT device.

What you are saying is exactly the same as has already been suggested by mqjeff and myself.
Looking at the interface specs is the first thing to do. If these are not forthcoming then run a mile/kilometre.
The security informatino is also important to understand. You don't want the finger pointed at you the developer when it all goes TITSUP or the Security auditors vent their anger at some totally insecure device being connected to a bnanking network.

Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

smdavies99 wrote:
IoT in my eyes is at this point in time only used by

Idiots
Or
Twits

This may (or may not) change over time

It is as has been seaid in idea mostly for home automation. Most of the time it is very poorly implemnted especially with respect to security and ... well everything.

No IoT device will ever be installed in my home.

In an attempt to offer a balancing view, we use this concept here successfully. This probably doesn't disprove the Idiots or Twits concept. Such devices are networked through our shiny new headquarters building (mostly as a vanity project for our senior management) but more productively for things like our ATMs and other branch equipment; i.e. commercially (with no disrespect to my worthy associate).

This doesn't impact the advice of other posters, which I endorse. We use MQTT via MessageSight, and remediate the security issues mostly by not using this for secure functions - we don't really mind a hacker knowing a given ATM is out of $5 bills. We do mind a hacker being able to intercept the debit card information being used in an ATM transaction, and don't use MQTT for that.

But sending non-critical status information over MQTT saves us a fortune in network.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Integrate IIB V10 with IoT and PMQ
Jump to: