ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » HTTP ProxyServlet for IIB with F5 in Production

HTTP ProxyServlet for IIB with F5 in Production « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqsara
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: HTTP ProxyServlet for IIB with F5 in Production Reply with quote

Pl do let me know if any of you have experience configuring the plugin for HTTP Proxyservlet for IIB along with F5 load balancer in production.

The topology is such that consumer applications invoke the SOAP services (msg flows with SOAP nodes) on IIB. The requests are first intercepted by F5 Loadbalancer that sprays the requests in a round robin fashion to two instances of IIB (Active/Active) at two sites.
health check from F5 happens on a test flow deployed on each EG.
URI's exposed to consumers incl the port of the EG, currently using embedded listener.
With this topology, some of the challenges are:
1. Ports are fixed, when I move the flows from one EG to another it impacts consumer apps (ports change)
2. If I want to horizontally scale, I cannot deploy additional flows on multiple EG's.
Want to use the HTTP porxy servlet to do the virtual to physical URI mapping, load balancing and failover between EG's. like in this article:Load balancing WebSphere Message Broker HTTP traffic: Part 1

However, in our case F5 is above IBM HTTP server. And one IHS per IIB instance. How should the F5 and IHS(s) be configured in this case and health chk also. If F5 does heatlchk at EG level and what if the flow is stopped? How to config the plugin file to route requests to other EG's?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The f5 shouldn't really test the health of the EG HTTP server.

And since you're using IHS, you should use
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/be55180_.htm

Any time you need to change the broker topology, you can regenerate the plugin config, and redeploy that to your WAS instances, one at a time.
mqsara
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for responding quickly, with this topology, pl help me with answers to the below:

1. In this case we use the broker wide listener?
2. How to merge the plugin file generated from each broker? Iam guessing that, that one merged plugin file goes into a single HTTP server that is above all IIB instances?
3. Where does F5 fit in? IHS does the same job, but not as reliable as hardware F5 with pools etc., is it?

Please elaborate on "and redeploy that to your WAS instances, one at a time.
"
thanks for your time.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

mqsara wrote:
thanks for responding quickly, with this topology, pl help me with answers to the below:

1. In this case we use the broker wide listener?
2. How to merge the plugin file generated from each broker? Iam guessing that, that one merged plugin file goes into a single HTTP server that is above all IIB instances?
3. Where does F5 fit in? IHS does the same job, but not as reliable as hardware F5 with pools etc., is it?

Please elaborate on "and redeploy that to your WAS instances, one at a time.
"
thanks for your time.

I don't knonw if you have to use the broker wide listener. The method may return all of the ports, including an EG level ports.

The bit about using the Integration API should let you get the relevenat ports and write each resulting string into a file which would let you combine them.

What I meant by redeploying the file to WAS, was really supposed to say redeploy to your IHS servers. So you would install the file, and restart IHS if necessary (I forget if it is necessary to restart IHS)

Typically, one has the F5 to load balance across instances of IHS, which load balance across instances of WAS, or in this case, instances of IIB.

So if a single IHS fails, you still have others running with the same config that F5 can use. This is probably how you already have things set up.
mqsara
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... another complication is we do the SSL offloading at IHS. IHS and IIB on same VM. so IHS can route to local instance only not across VM's.
Assume I do get an approval for that, let me see if I got you right:
1. F5 just chks if IHS instances are up and routes it in a round robin fashion.
2. Assume just two sites (North and South) , with an instance of IIB and IHS each.
3. IHS(North) and IHS (South) have the same merged plugin. Let us say IHS (N) received the req, routes to service 1(flow) on IIB(N). Fine - no problem, gets serviced
4. Say now IHS(South) receives the req, service 1(flow) is down in IIB(South) so routes to IHS(North) or directly to service 1 on IIB (North)

New Question: If it is routes to IHS again, how to prevent a looping or a deadlock situation?
Any sample IHS plugin to handle it properly like with WAS?

PS: plugin chgs tested, does not require IHS restart.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It would route to the IIB, not to the IHS.

The IHS plugin config file gives the list of addresses for IIB.

So F5 routes between IHS North and South.

IHS north and south round robin between IIB north and south.

Glad you don't need to restart IHS if you change the plugin config.

You would do something to regenerate the plugin config when you made changes to IIB flows, or EG ports, or etc.

I don't know if the generated plugin config would include EG http listeners, or only broker level listeners.
mqsara
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, two more questions b4 testing it out?
1. Just a simple merge of the exports from each IIB and deploy that one merged file to all instances of IHS?
2.In this case, the instances of IIB don't need to be clones, right. Coz the plugin contains all the details of the deployed flows and their ports and their servers. Which means if I want to horizontally scale some of the services, I just have another IIB instance with just those new services and regenerate the plugin (so it contains info abt these) and update the plugin in all IHS instances.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Probably...

I've not tried it in *a long* time.
mqsara
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem, I'll update the post after testing it.
thanks for the support so far.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » HTTP ProxyServlet for IIB with F5 in Production
Jump to: