ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB V9 or V10 support for WMQ V9

IIB V9 or V10 support for WMQ V9 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
murdeep
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: IIB V9 or V10 support for WMQ V9 Reply with quote

Master

Hello, I ran an IBM Software Product Compatibility Report for IIB V9 and V10 and neither listed WMQ V9 as a supported message oriented middleware option. Does anyone know when IBM will officially support WMQ V9 with IIB V9 or V10? We are about to embark on a WMQ upgrade from V7.5 and we are running IIB V9. I would prefer to go to WMQ V9 now that it is available to avoid 2 rounds of regression testing and once WMQ V9 is deployed migrate to IIB V10.

Thanks
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

A 19?0's TV Series often used these words,

Patience Grasshopper, Patience.

Give it time. A future IIB fixpack will probably (based upon past history) announce support for MQ V9 Queue Managers.

Personally, I would NOT be thinking of upgrading anything but a POC System to MQ9 at this point in time. The support model is different with V9 so you need to work out which option is best for your company/systems before even thinking about adopting it in production.
Also general experience (been using MQ for more than 16 years) I would not put a GA release into Production. (Sadly I have to support two sites that are running on a GA release and they won't let me patch them let alone upgrade them to a supported version of MQ).

Other fine words of wisdom from my fellow experts may well follow.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Given that MQ V9 was not complete in any way before IIB v10 first shipped, much less even more than a flag on a line of future releases when IIB v9 was shipped, it's really not possible for either of those products to provide support for MQ v9 when it ships.

So, yeah. It's not supported.

As mentioned, the usual sequence of events here is : IIB vX is released, supporting MQvCurrent, MQvNext is released, IIB vX and vCurrent add support for MQvNext through a FixPack.
murdeep
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

mqjeff wrote:
Given that MQ V9 was not complete in any way before IIB v10 first shipped, much less even more than a flag on a line of future releases when IIB v9 was shipped, it's really not possible for either of those products to provide support for MQ v9 when it ships.
Really? Is IBM so dysfunctional that the IIB team can't work with the WMQ team and regression test IIB with WMQ V9 whilst WMQ V9 is in beta? So it is possible. Regardless, perhaps a better question would be is there anything unique about IIB V9 or V10 or WMQ V9 that would make them incompatible?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I don't think you are using the word 'dysfunctional' correctly.

Examine your own development/release processes, and see how often your teams release compatible releases on exactly the same day.

Particularly, understand how many changes go on between beta 0 release and ga release.

IBM software development processes are not any more magical than your own are.

IIB development can't drop all of their existing development work to run regression testing on MQ vNext to provide day 0 support.
murdeep
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

mqjeff wrote:
IIB development can't drop all of their existing development work to run regression testing on MQ vNext to provide day 0 support.
If IBM so chooses they could most definitely allocate resources to regression test IIB V9 fixpack x or IIB V 10 fixpack y with WMQ V9 and this can run in parallel with new IIB development. It's not like they are mutually exclusive efforts. At some they will need to do it in order to certify IIB V9/V10 is compatible with WMQ V9. I guess I'll need to install WMQ V9 and regression test it with my V9 flows to ensure they are compatible. I have to do in any case so I'll just bite the bullet and get it done.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

murdeep wrote:
mqjeff wrote:
If IBM so chooses they could most definitely allocate resources to regression test IIB V9 fixpack x or IIB V 10 fixpack y with WMQ V9 and this can run in parallel with new IIB development. It's not like they are mutually exclusive efforts.

I'm sure your own business makes cost/benefit decisions about where and when to allocate development resources.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

murdeep wrote:
mqjeff wrote:
If IBM so chooses they could most definitely allocate resources to regression test IIB V9 fixpack x or IIB V 10 fixpack y with WMQ V9 and this can run in parallel with new IIB development. It's not like they are mutually exclusive efforts. At some they will need to do it in order to certify IIB V9/V10 is compatible with WMQ V9. I guess I'll need to install WMQ V9 and regression test it with my V9 flows to ensure they are compatible. I have to do in any case so I'll just bite the bullet and get it done.

And when it all goes 'titsup'? IBM will say that you are on your own.
If I were your manager [1] I'd refuse to let you put a GA (FixPack 0) release into production no matter how good your regression testing is.
Don't be so imapatient. It is not as if IIB V9 is going out of service next week/month.

My all means run a POC with IIB 9 and MQ 9 but please don't be in such a hurry to put it into production.

[1] I have been in the Software biz for 40+ years and have been through dozens and dozens of release cycles. If there is one thing I have learned is the the saying 'Fools Rush In' is very true.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:
murdeep wrote:
mqjeff wrote:
If IBM so chooses they could most definitely allocate resources to regression test IIB V9 fixpack x or IIB V 10 fixpack y with WMQ V9 and this can run in parallel with new IIB development. It's not like they are mutually exclusive efforts.

I'm sure your own business makes cost/benefit decisions about where and when to allocate development resources.

I struggle to get internal applications to regression test against new versions of internal applications on which they are dependent.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: IIB V9 or V10 support for WMQ V9 Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

murdeep wrote:
I would prefer to go to WMQ V9 now that it is available to avoid 2 rounds of regression testing and once WMQ V9 is deployed migrate to IIB V10.

This quote from your original post indicates that you have some issue getting regression testing done, possibly due to resource constraints or scheduling issues.

You should therefore have some understanding of why IBM has not yet regression tested against MQv9
Craig B
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

IBM MQ V9.0 is now listed as supported software for IIB 10.0.0.6.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

with my associate.

Especially:

smdavies99 wrote:
The support model is different with V9 so you need to work out which option is best for your company/systems before even thinking about adopting it in production.

This is a more complex question in medium to large corporations than it looks.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB V9 or V10 support for WMQ V9
Jump to: