ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Character set 1200 doesn't work whereas 1202 works

Character set 1200 doesn't work whereas 1202 works « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rekarm01
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Character set 1200 doesn't work whereas 1202 works Reply with quote

Grand Master

tczielke wrote:
The interpretation of CCSID 1200 in MQ is somewhat confusing in what I have observed.

There are some differences between how the IBM Character Data Representation Architecture (CDRA) specifies UTF-16 endianness, and how either IBM MQ or the WMB/IIB broker implements it.

The IBM CDRA defines the following ccsids for UTF-16: ("BOM" refers to byte order mark. The difference between the even/odd ccsids is not relevant here, but has to do with Unicode code points set aside for private use.)
  • ccsid=1200,1201: UTF-16BE, uses big-endian, no BOM
  • ccsid=1202,1203: UTF-16LE, uses little-endian, no BOM
  • ccsid=1204,1205: UTF-16, uses BOM if present, otherwise uses big-endian

For MQ MQGET call with MQGMO_CONVERT/MQFMT_STRING:
  • conversion from source ccsid=1200: uses BOM if present, otherwise uses MQMD.Encoding
  • conversion to target ccsid=1200: uses MsgDesc.Encoding, retains BOM if present
  • conversion from/to ccsid=1201-1205: not supported

Windows/.NET users should note that Microsoft numbers its Unicode code pages differently from IBM ccsids:
  • windows-1200: UTF-16LE, uses little-endian, no BOM
  • windows-1201: UTF-16BE, uses big-endian, no BOM

For MQ .NET MQMessage ReadLine(), ReadString(), and WriteString() methods:
  • conversion from/to CharacterSet=1200: uses little-endian, no BOM
  • conversion from/to CharacterSet=1201-1205: not supported

The broker's implementation started out more like MQ, but is now more like the IBM CDRA. Early versions supported only ccsid=1200, and added support for the rest later. Parsers that handle intrinsically character data, (like XMLNSC, JSON), tend to recognize a BOM, while parsers that handle mixed data, (like MRM, DFDL), tend to not recognize a BOM, unless explicitly modeled. In the absence of a BOM, parsers for past versions of the broker had either used the QMgr.Encoding, Properties.Encoding, or assumed big-endian, for ccsid=1200.

For the currently supported versions of WMB/IIB, using the XMLNSC parser:
  • conversion from input ccsid=1200,1201: uses BOM if present, otherwise uses big-endian
  • conversion from input ccsid=1202,1203: uses BOM if present, otherwise uses little-endian
  • conversion from input ccsid=1204,1205: uses BOM if present, otherwise uses big-endian

• conversion to output ccsid=1200: uses Properties.Encoding, adds BOM
  • conversion to output ccsid=1201: uses big-endian, no BOM
  • conversion to output ccsid=1202,1203: uses little-endian, no BOM
  • conversion to output ccsid=1204,1205: uses big-endian, adds BOM

If any of that is still confusing, then there's always UTF-8.

[Edit: Separated the "conversion from ..." and "conversion to ..." clauses, clarified MQMD/MsgDesc Encoding for MQGET, and added explicit "no BOM" clauses where BOM is not used.]

Last edited by rekarm01 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
tczielke
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Thanks for the detailed information there. That was helpful.

Quote:

•ccsid=1200: source uses BOM if present, otherwise uses MQMD.Encoding; target uses MQMD.Encoding, retains BOM if present

•ccsid=1201-1205: not supported

From the experimenting that I have done with MQ data conversion and a 1200 CCSID message with a BOM, I found that MQ would use the BOM over the CCSID at the target. For example, if I PUT a 1200 CCSID message that was little endian with a BOM that was little endian but also lied and said the MQMD.Encoding was big endian, MQ would still convert the data correctly to something like 819 at the target.

Quote:

If any of that is still confusing, then there's always UTF-8.

If applicable, I would recommend using UTF-8 (1208) over UTF-16 (1200). 1208 is more straight forward to work with, and does not have the endianness property to deal with like 1200.
rekarm01
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

tczielke wrote:
Quote:
  • ccsid=1200: source uses BOM if present, otherwise uses MQMD.Encoding; target uses MQMD.Encoding, retains BOM if present

Maybe that should be "target uses MsgDesc.Encoding", to more clearly indicate the MsgDesc parameter on the MQGET call.

tczielke wrote:
From the experimenting that I have done with MQ data conversion and a 1200 CCSID message with a BOM, I found that MQ would use the BOM over the CCSID at the target. For example, if I PUT a 1200 CCSID message that was little endian with a BOM that was little endian but also lied and said the MQMD.Encoding was big endian, MQ would still convert the data correctly to something like 819 at the target.

I meant to describe the "conversion from ..." and "conversion to ..." as if it were two separate steps. The source clause above only describes conversion from ccsid=1200, and the target clause above only describes conversion to ccsid=1200. It doesn't describe conversion to ccsid=819. Let's see if I can make that more clear ...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Character set 1200 doesn't work whereas 1202 works
Jump to: