ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How are you versioning your BAR files?

How are you versioning your BAR files? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:
And how would you deal with the same version but different bar overrides?

Good question.

We use classifiers in Artifactory to determine various environments. For example: We have a separate bar files for each environment Test, Stage, Production.

Same version of the codebase but different bar overrides results in three bar files being created and each have a label "TEST", "STAGE", "PROD". Also our build script is versioned as well. Meaning each TEST, STAGE, PROD environment properties are contained in the GIT tag.

In the Java world the Manifest also contains the classifier. I guess in IIB world it would not, so we rely on the Artifactory server to handle this. Once deployed we know can easily look at the application on the IIB server and inspect its overrides. The version is more tricky.

Last edited by sleepyjamie on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Vitor wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:

Well you'd hope the different overrides would be caused by different use cases and I would encode those use cases in the application or flow with $MQSI.

The OP could add it to the bar file name (which could rapidly become unwieldy). Though it sounds rather like they produce a single application and deploy it singly ("immutable micro-service") rather than reuse it with different overrides as you describe.

Ok this might be a good way forward. I'll check our the $MQSI keyword. thanks!
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sleepyjamie wrote:
Vitor wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:

Well you'd hope the different overrides would be caused by different use cases and I would encode those use cases in the application or flow with $MQSI.

The OP could add it to the bar file name (which could rapidly become unwieldy). Though it sounds rather like they produce a single application and deploy it singly ("immutable micro-service") rather than reuse it with different overrides as you describe.

Er... wouldn't you have at least a different override by environment, not just use case?
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:
Vitor wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:

Er... wouldn't you have at least a different override by environment, not just use case?

Yes and no. The version of the code is all the same across each environment, just a different configuration.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sleepyjamie wrote:

Yes and no. The version of the code is all the same across each environment, just a different configuration.

Lucky you, apparently not much change...
I remember having different versions in dev, qa, perf, pre-prod(bug-fix) and prod... all due to functional changes in the consuming app. qa, perf and pre-prod being essentially the same environment just in a different time slice...
sleepyjamie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

fjb_saper wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:

Lucky you, apparently not much change...
I remember having different versions in dev, qa, perf, pre-prod(bug-fix) and prod... all due to functional changes in the consuming app. qa, perf and pre-prod being essentially the same environment just in a different time slice...

Yeah we had this as well, and unfortunately it was a nightmare to maintain

We do have different configurations for each environment (e.g. file path, queue names, etc..) but the code for each environment is the same. Keep in mind, the configuration in each environment may enable/disable certain code.
rekarm01
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

kimbert wrote:
Every version control system allows keywords to be inserted into text files, ...

... except for IBM's Rational Team Concert.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How are you versioning your BAR files?
Jump to: