ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ Windows Installation Advice

MQ Windows Installation Advice « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: MQ Windows Installation Advice Reply with quote

Guardian

I would like to get some advice on something I ran into last year, which I am going to have to tackle again for some MQ Windows servers this year.

Last year, we had a Windows 2003 server (let’s call it host name windows1) that had MQ 7.5.0.2 Server installed on it with a queue manager. Both the MQ install path and data path were C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ. Our Windows team wanted to take the Windows 2003 windows1 server and change it to be a Windows 2008 server with the same host name. I believe what they did was create a new Windows 2008 server, but then gave it the same host name of windows1. They also carried over the C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ directory from the Windows 2003 server to the Windows 2008 server.

I was then handed over the Windows 2008 windows1 server and asked to install MQ 7.5.0.2. What I wanted to happen was that the MQ 7.5.0.2 install would reuse the existing queue manager on C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ. However, since MQ 7.5 is a 32 bit application, the installer was saying that C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ was no longer valid for the install path, and it now had to be C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ. I may be remembering this part incorrectly, but I am pretty sure the installer would also not allow me to make the install path be C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ and the data path be C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ. What I ended up having to do was make the install and data path both be C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ, and then I had recreate the queue manager.

For the above scenario, was there a way to handle this better so I didn’t have to recreate the queue manager? It is not the end of the world to have to recreate the queue manager. However, the queue manager was in a cluster and ideally I would of liked to have been able to do the install of MQ 7.5.0.2 onto the Windows 2008 windows1 server and reuse the existing queue manager whose data path was on C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You could have maybe just moved the files ?

Not sure why 7.5.0.2 would be a 32-bit install, either. It should have been 64 by default. .. ?
JohnBarfieldIBM
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8.0 was the first 64-bit Windows MQ (and the first 64-bit installer).

The problems you encountered sound like they were for in part caused by going from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows underneath MQ.

On MQ v7.5 on a 64-bit version of Windows, the 32-bit MQ installer forces you to install in "Program Files (x86)" if you choose to install in program files at all. You can of course install somewhere else. It does not allow you to install the 32-bit MQ application into "Program Files". This is due to a defect fix but it was by another programmer, a long while ago and I am sorry - I do not recall the exact details.

With MQ v8, fresh installs of the 64-bit server and client default to "Program Files" for their program files and the data directory defaults to a location in ProgramData, removing our queue manager data from any further 32/64 bit confusion.
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

JohnBarfieldIBM wrote:
On MQ v7.5 on a 64-bit version of Windows, the 32-bit MQ installer forces you to install in "Program Files (x86)" if you choose to install in program files at all. You can of course install somewhere else. It does not allow you to install the 32-bit MQ application into "Program Files".

Thanks, John. So for the statement "It (MQ 32 bit installer running on 64 bit Windows) does not allow you to install the 32-bit MQ application into "Program Files" ", does that include both the install path and the data path that can not go into "Program Files"? Or is it just the install path that can not go into "Program Files", and I could point the data path to a directory in "Program Files"?
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

I had a similar issue but it did not cause me any problems. A year or so ago, I upgraded a Windows 7 Pro machine from MQ v7.1 to MQ v8.0.

- For MQ v7.1, I had installed everything (programs & data) under D:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ\

- I forget what FixPack I had installed but I un-installed everything.

- When I installed MQ v8.0, the installer insisted that MQ v8.0 be installed in D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\ but it was ok with the data being under D:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ\

- If I remember correctly, when I start the queue managers on the machine, it asked about upgrading the queue manager data and I said OK.

- Since then, I have installed FixPack v8.0.0.4 without any problems

The only thing that is annoying is remembering which directory tree has which information.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

RogerLacroix wrote:

The only thing that is annoying is remembering which directory tree has which information.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

And here I thought set | find "MQ" would tell you!
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

fjb_saper wrote:
And here I thought set | find "MQ" would tell you!

Ha, ha - very funny. I use FAR as a file manager (I hate Windows Explorer), it is when I put the cursor over "Program Files (x86)" or "Program Files" and have to remember which way to go.

I can do the command: set | find "MQ" and get:
Code:
CLASSPATH=.;D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\java\lib\com.ibm.mqjms.jar;D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\java\lib\com.ibm.mq.jar
INCLUDE=D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\tools\c\include;D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\tools\cplus\include
LIB=D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\tools\lib64;D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\tools\lib
MQ_FILE_PATH=D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ
MQ_JAVA_DATA_PATH=D:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ
MQ_JAVA_INSTALL_PATH=D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\java
MQ_JAVA_LIB_PATH=D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\java\lib64;D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\java\lib
MQ_JRE_PATH=D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\java\jre
Path=D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\java\lib;D:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\java\lib64;...

But then I STILL have to remember "program" vs "data" paths and which one I'm trying to go to.

At least on Linux/Unix (except for AIX), it is /var/mqm/ & /opt/mqm/ which is now burnt into my memory.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Er...
I get more out of the environment: like MQ_DATA_PATH:
Code:
MQ_DATA_PATH=C:\mqdata
MQ_ENV_MODE=64
MQ_FILE_PATH=C:\mq75
MQ_INSTALLATION_NAME=mq75
MQ_INSTALLATION_PATH=C:\mq75
MQ_JAVA_DATA_PATH=C:\mqdata
MQ_JAVA_INSTALL_PATH=C:\mq75\java
MQ_JAVA_LIB_PATH=C:\mq75\java\lib64
MQ_JRE_PATH=C:\mq75\java\jre

or
Code:
MQ_DATA_PATH=C:\mqdata
MQ_ENV_MODE=64
MQ_FILE_PATH=C:\mq\mq8
MQ_INSTALLATION_NAME=mq8
MQ_INSTALLATION_PATH=C:\mq\mq8
MQ_JAVA_DATA_PATH=C:\mqdata
MQ_JAVA_INSTALL_PATH=C:\mq\mq8\java
MQ_JAVA_LIB_PATH=C:\mq\mq8\java\lib64
MQ_JRE_PATH=C:\mq\mq8\java\jre

You'll notice that the paths are different depending on the version.
You'll also notice that the MQ_DATA_PATH is the same across versions...

So MQ_DATA_PATH will get you to the mqs.ini file.
For the individual qmgrs you can then look at
Code:
dspmqinf <qmgrname>

RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Humor doesn't come off very well in the text world. All I meant was the split second I put my cursor on the directory name, I think, is it this one or the other one. Of course, if I start scratching my head and think about it for a second or 2, I'll remember which is which. I was just joking about the "split second" is hard on my grey matter in my head.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQ Windows Installation Advice
Jump to: