ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexIBM MQ Java / JMSThere are 3 MQ Java/JMS packages - which one is right when?

There are 3 MQ Java/JMS packages - which one is right when? View previous topic :: View next topic
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:04 am Post subject: There are 3 MQ Java/JMS packages - which one is right when? Reply with quote

Poobah

Perhaps this question is simple to answer for a Java/JMS expert (which I am not), but is there a decision tree or a pros/cons as to which of the following packages should be used in which situations? Clearly there is overlap in at least some of the functionality between these 3 packages, and I have to assume some features are present in one package and not the other(s).

8.0.0.4-WS-MQ-Install-Java-All.jar
8.0.0.4-WS-MQC-Redist-Java.zip
8.0.0.4-WS-MQ-Java-InstallRA.zip

I’m looking to be able to answer someone when they say “I need to MQ via JMS, I don’t want to install the full MQ Client, what package should I download?” I see 3 choices now, and do not feel confident in suggesting the right one, or even asking the correct follow up questions to help decide which is the right one.

Does one of the three include everything the other 2 do, and so that is the ‘safe’ or ‘easy’ answer, at the risk of installing extraneous jars in some cases?

Another question:
I reviewed this again about the 8.0.0.4-WS-MQ-Install-Java-All in the following technote:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21683398

I did not see any wording around being able to redistribute the jars from this package. I assume that on every machine you would want to use the jars from 8.0.0.4-WS-MQ-Install-Java-All, you would need to run the self extracting JAR again and accept the license again. Is that true for 8.0.0.4-WS-MQ-Install-Java-All? If yes, I know the suggestion would be to use 8.0.0.4-WS-MQC-Redist-Java.zip if you want to be free to copy jar files around, but then I am back to my question of what is the functionality difference between 8.0.0.4-WS-MQC-Redist-Java.zip and 8.0.0.4-WS-MQ-Install-Java-All.jar (and 8.0.0.4-WS-MQ-Java-InstallRA.zip).
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Well let's have a quick look at the names and content.
Obviously "8.0.0.4-WS-MQ-Java-InstallRA.zip" is the resource adapter (used to define a J2EE JMS connection to a J2EE server)

"8.0.0.4-WS-MQC-Redist-Java.zip" I would indeed expect to be the redistributable and the content of it to be something like:
com.ibm.mq.allclient.jar
fscontext.jar
jms.jar
providerutil.jar

Now the Install Java all I would expect to produce the tree I see in <MQInstall>\java\lib

Have fun
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Thanks FJ, but my original questions still stand.

If we all lined up by Java knowledge, I would be to Vitor's immediate left, and you would be waaaaayyyy at the other end of the line
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I would expect that the InstallJava package would require the rest of the MQclient, and the redist not to.
tczielke
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

At v8, MQ now supports relocatable JAR files -> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q030590_.htm?lang=en

They recommend two jars:
com.ibm.mq.allclient.jar
com.ibm.mq.traceControl.jar

However, you probably only need the second one for diagnostic purposes.

So you could within an enterprise, just send them those 2 jars for a Java/JMS MQ Client. When I looked at redistributable java package, it was mainly a repackaging of the allclient jar.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

tczielke wrote:
At v8, MQ now supports relocatable JAR files -> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q030590_.htm?lang=en

They recommend two jars:
com.ibm.mq.allclient.jar
com.ibm.mq.traceControl.jar

However, you probably only need the second one for diagnostic purposes.

So you could within an enterprise, just send them those 2 jars for a Java/JMS MQ Client. When I looked at redistributable java package, it was mainly a repackaging of the allclient jar.

If you are dealing with stand alone JMS programs, my experience tells me you'll need as well jms.jar. There used to be a jta.jar but I guess that the part that was needed has been folded into the jms.jar (there are a few transaction references there including transaction exceptions).
You'd obviously also want to add fscontext.jar for file based jndi...
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I have a PMR open and asked for a flow chart, decision matrix and/or pros/cons comparing these 3 packages and providing some guidance as to which one is best used in which situation.

To be sure there must be significant overlap between these 3. But there must also be a reason IBM provides all 3. I need to explained to me in terms a Java noob can understand.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

OK so looking at the difference with MQ 7.5 <install>\java\lib vs v8 and I am excluding the OSGi and other stuff (sub directories).
  • Present in 7.5 but not in 8
    • CL3Export.jar
    • CL3Nonexport.jar
    • connector.jar
    • dbhcore.jar
    • jndi.jar
    • jta.jar
    • ldap.jar
    • rmm.jar

• Present in v 8 but not in v 7.5
    • com.ibm.mq.allclient.jar
    • com.ibm.mq.traceControl.jar

This clearly shows that there has been some consolidation going on in the jar files. I suspect the jndi, jta, and ldap have somewhat found their way into the allclient.jar...

The discrepancy between the contents of the wmq.jmsra.rar file between 7.5 and 8 is even more evident. At a glance the 7.5 rar file seems to have double the number of jars compared to the v8 rar file.

MQSeries.net Forum IndexIBM MQ Java / JMSThere are 3 MQ Java/JMS packages - which one is right when?
Jump to: