ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy

Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Inforz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Centurion

mqjeff wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
If you can cd to /opt/mqm/bin to successfully execute supplied apps, then all you need to do is to add /opt/mqm/bin to your PATH.

NO. Please don't do this. Please don't take this as best practice moving forward with MQ 7.1 and 7.5.

USE SETMQENV or SETMQINST.

bruce2359 wrote:
If you want all logged in users to have /opt/mqm/bin in their PATH, modify the global login script to add /OPT/MQM/BIN to everyones PATH.

Again, add SETMQENV to everyone's login script. DO NOT manually modify the path expecting it to be correct.

mqjeff, I did a MQ v7.1 installation on AIX 6.1. I tried to set primary installation with the following command and it failed.
setmqinst -n Installation1 -i
So as you said I tried setmqenv -s and still after that, the above command fails

Please let me know if you need any information
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Inforz wrote:
...I tried to set primary installation with the following command and it failed.

Did you try it as root?
muralihegde
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

I wanted to confirm this. We have the below scenario.

1) We had MQ 7.0.1.12 version and few queue managers on this.
2) We installed MQ 7.5.0.4, along with this, using the multi-stage approach
3) That makes MQ 7.5.0.4 as secondary installation (Installation1) and MQ 7.0.1.12 as primary(Installation0).

4) We have created few new Queue mgrs on MQ 7.5.0.4 and also migrated the older queue managers from 7.0.1.12 and they are working fine now.
5) The Product manual suggests the sequence as per which
a) uninstall MQ 7.0.1.12 and
b) then make the MQ 7.5.0.4 as primary.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.mig.doc/q006660_.htm

6) However we want to make MQ 7.5.0.4 as primary first and ensure it all works and then only uninstall MQ 7.0.1.12

We get the below error when we try to make the MQ 7.5.0.4.

AMQ8579: Primary installation cannot be changed from 'Installation0' to
'Installation1'. If the current primary installation is Installation0, it is not possible to set 'Installation1' to be the primary installation until Installation0 has been uninstalled.

There was a suggestion in the error log to first unset the primary installation.

"Otherwise, in order to set installation 'Installation1' as the primary
installation you must first unset the current primary installation using the
command 'setmqinst -x -n <InstName>'. You can then re-issue the command to set
installation 'Installation1' as the primary installation. "

We tried to first unset the current primary installation using the
command 'setmqinst -x -n <InstName>'> But it did not work and gave this error.

Installation 'Installation0'(C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ) is
implicitly primary.

The command attempted to modify the primary installation 'Installation0',
however this installation is implicitly primary and can only be made
non-primary by uninstalling this installation.

Is it mandatory that the older version of MQ 7.0.1.12 has to be uninstalled before we make 7.5.0.4 as primary?
exerk
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

muralihegde wrote:
Is it mandatory that the older version of MQ 7.0.1.12 has to be uninstalled before we make 7.5.0.4 as primary?

It categorically states within the 7.1 and 7.5 KCs that, "...WebSphere MQ version 7.0.1 is automatically the primary installation. You cannot select another installation as the primary installation while WebSphere MQ version 7.0.1 is installed...", or did you miss that when you read the Installing and Uninstalling sections?
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

muralihegde wrote:

Yes. v7.0.n is (as the command says) implicitly primary because that version doesn't support co-existence. So in software design terms it's the only installed version and therefore the primary by virtue of it being the only version. Thus no command can make it not primary; the only way to make it not primary is to uninstall it.

As the command text attempts to make clear.

muralihegde wrote:
However we want to make MQ 7.5.0.4 as primary first and ensure it all works and then only uninstall MQ 7.0.1.12

It's a good plan, and for future migrations it will work great. Right now, you just need to take a deep breath and pull the Band-Aid off....
girishk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy Reply with quote

If you have multiple MQ installations in your system. Here is the procedure to unset and set the Insttallations.

First, Unset the previous version of your MQ7.1 Installation with the following command
SETMQINST -x -n <Installation name>

Then close the cmd and open it again and Now set as primary installation for your MQ7.5 as primary with the below command
SETMQINST -i n <Installation name>

Close the Cmd prompt and You can able to access your MQ7.5 as primary Installation and can work on it.

If you still having any issues. Please let me know i can do that.

Inforz wrote:
mqjeff wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
If you can cd to /opt/mqm/bin to successfully execute supplied apps, then all you need to do is to add /opt/mqm/bin to your PATH.

NO. Please don't do this. Please don't take this as best practice moving forward with MQ 7.1 and 7.5.

USE SETMQENV or SETMQINST.

bruce2359 wrote:
If you want all logged in users to have /opt/mqm/bin in their PATH, modify the global login script to add /OPT/MQM/BIN to everyones PATH.

Again, add SETMQENV to everyone's login script. DO NOT manually modify the path expecting it to be correct.

mqjeff, I did a MQ v7.1 installation on AIX 6.1. I tried to set primary installation with the following command and it failed.
So as you said I tried setmqenv -s and still after that, the above command fails

Please let me know if you need any information

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Changing an existing MQ installation to PRIMARy
Jump to: