ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Queues not retaining messages after failover

Queues not retaining messages after failover « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zhaider
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Queues not retaining messages after failover Reply with quote

Apprentice

I have configured a two node MSCS cluster. The problem I'm facing is that after putting any message in the Local queue when I failover to the other node I found the same queue to be empty. If I failover to the original node again, the queue is still empty.

The messages put inside the queue gets deleted once I switch over to the other node. Please help me.

And if possible can someone also tell me the solution to the problem I'm facing here: http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=398790
I found a work around by setting a 1 minute timer but still I'll be grateful for the permanent solution.

Thanks
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Queues not retaining messages after failover Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zhaider wrote:
The messages put inside the queue gets deleted once I switch over to the other node. Please help me.

What makes you think they should still be there? If the messages are not persistent, functioning as designed.

(I offer the traditional warning about claiming the messages are persistent because the default persistence of the queue is "YES". Fire and pain result).

zhaider wrote:
can someone also tell me the solution to the problem I'm facing here: http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=398790

Apparently not, or they'd have posted it to that thread.....
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Moved to "General IBM MQ Support" as this isn't the kind of clustering that section is dedicated to....
zhaider
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Queues not retaining messages after failover Reply with quote

Apprentice

Vitor wrote:
zhaider wrote:

What makes you think they should still be there? If the messages are not persistent, functioning as designed.

(I offer the traditional warning about claiming the messages are persistent because the default persistence of the queue is "YES". Fire and pain result).

Okay thanks! Can you clarify it further? What does I need to do to make it persistent unless they are consumed by some services. I basically wants to keep maintain the state of the queue at the time of failover.

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Queues not retaining messages after failover Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zhaider wrote:
What does I need to do to make it persistent unless they are consumed by some services.

Make sure that the application that puts the message on the queue sets the message to be persistent. This is either done by the application explicitly setting the message persistence, or by the application taking the queue default and the default being set to persistent.

(It's a common misconception that the queue setting controls the persistence, when in fact the application controls it and the queue only offers a suggestion.)

If you ask 3 MQ experts which of the two methods is best, you'll get 5 different answers. Neither method is "wrong", nor is either method "better", and I'll probably get flamed in a moment.....

zhaider wrote:
I basically wants to keep maintain the state of the queue at the time of failover.

Be sure that's what you want. Aside from deciding how to set message persistence, deciding when to set message persistence is another thorny question. It's perfectly possible that the messages in a queue are redundant post-failover. Consider this slightly contrived example:

An application is happily sending messages and getting responses from another application, both connected to this queue manager you have under MSCS. There's a system level issue (for Windows, something like the server's been running for 2 days without being restarted) and the queue manager crashes. The applications get a face full of 2009 errors and rollback, reconnect and otherwise recover. When the queue manager restarts, it will take time performing a forward recovery on the queue to retrieve the messages which may be responses the enquiring application has already given up on, and then has to spend time reading and ignoring.

zhaider wrote:
Sorry, I'm new to this stuff.

Welcome to the world. Enjoy reading the InfoCenter, and get yourself on some training courses.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Queues not retaining messages after failover Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
... and I'll probably get flamed in a moment.....

No flaming from here.
Vitor wrote:
Be sure that's what you want.

The business requirement will determine whether messages should be persistent or non-persistent. As Vitor suggests, there are consequences for either/both.

Vitor wrote:
Welcome to the world. Enjoy reading the InfoCenter, and get yourself on some training courses.

Get some training.
zhaider
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks guys for the help. Since I'm just starting up, I just try to learn on my own. Paid training right now is not an option, I'm afraid.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I recommend that you download and begin reading this primer on MQ http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp0021.html?Open

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Queues not retaining messages after failover
Jump to: