ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Backout queues in MQ JMS using Spring.

Backout queues in MQ JMS using Spring. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
krama5717
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Backout queues in MQ JMS using Spring. Reply with quote

I am struggling with code that uses CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE mode in a Spring/JMS enabled piece of code. What we want to do is to throw a poisoned message to the back out queue. I cannot find any examples anywhere to achieve this in CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE mode. I do know that this is relatively easy to do in TRANSACTION mode. Please help.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Backout queues in MQ JMS using Spring. Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

krama5717 wrote:
I am struggling with code that uses CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE mode in a Spring/JMS enabled piece of code. What we want to do is to throw a poisoned message to the back out queue. I cannot find any examples anywhere to achieve this in CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE mode. I do know that this is relatively easy to do in TRANSACTION mode. Please help.

AFAIK you can only have this happen in client_acknowledge mode, if MQ itself determines that the message is bad an cannot be delivered / read.
Anything else gets aknowledged when the client in fact does acknowledge...

Keep it transactional!
krama5717
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the wisdom, Oh Grand Poobah.. before we go down the path of modifying the code to be TRANSACTIONAL, I need guidance on just one thing more. I am thinking of short term and long term solutions here.

In this environment, under Spring , JMS, MQ ....

1. What happens to a message when the onMessage method throws an exception ? (in CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE )... so the message is in flight, and something happens, and we throw an exception.... what is the disposition of the message ? Will it get dropped or re-queued ? Will it get acknowledged along with a subsequent acknowledge and therefore de-queued ?

2. How do you recommend that we take care of this situation, since the backout queue mechanisms are not available to us ? If we want to drop it into a queue, do we create another queue and do a queueSender() so to speak ?

There is so much google out there, and it is an ocean to wade through. Some expert guidance is really appreciated.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If an application throws an exception while processing a transactional message, the trasaction is rolled back.

During an MQ Transaction, the message is not actually removed from the queue. It's merely marked in a transaction and so isn't visible to other readers.

Thus, when the transaction is rolled back, the message reappears on the queue.

I believe in this case the backout count is incremented.

Normal MQ applications have to handle backout themselves. I don't know what Spring does.
krama5717
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in transaction mode, it's perfectly clear.... either rollback or exception will request the message. It is my understanding that client acknowledge melody is non-transactional. So where do I go look for an answer ?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

IF the onMessage is part of a transaction, then when it throws an exception, the queue transaction will get rolled back.

This is not the same as backed out.

I forget if JMS handles backout for you. Regarless of what you're using to call JMS, the behavior for MQ JMS will be the same.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Backout queues in MQ JMS using Spring.
Jump to: