ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQSC using wild card but skip default object

MQSC using wild card but skip default object « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

vsathyan wrote:
By the way, i'm writing up a tool - WebSphere MQ Control Panel which has a bunch of features, like queue manager compare, detect damaged objects, search any object (*.QUEUE), universal deployer, message editors, queue pollers, report generation, much more features and going to share it with the MQ user community in a few months. It will be completely free.

Sample development screen shots can be found here.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6pmC9rxCJTaLUVSNmNZSFozTGc&usp=sharing

Thanks,
vsathyan

Good luck and enjoy the time spent writing and maintaining!

MQSystems Facebook page
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The other problem with using something like GREP in a script is that it is very difficult to be specific and bugs can easily creep in. The code may appear to work but it will only work in very specific circumstances. As soon as you add multiple lines then grep starts to get much harder. And a grep like grep -iv "system" may seem like a simple way to remove system queues but suppose the description field has the word 'system' in it ? Or perhaps it's in the target queue etc etc. Very soon you realise that even something as trivial as 'display the queues without the default objects' can actually be quite hard to do in a script. Heaven forbid you get a slightly more complicated example. For example, suppose the requirement was to output those queues which are more than 75% of their max depth. Again...trivial to do in MQSCX.

Many of the problems can be solved by a script but As Michael says the time and effort spent writing a script, fixing the myriads of non-obvious bugs and then maintaining that script is often far more than buying a simple tool. MQSCX is already written, used by dozens of customers and is very reasonably priced. It also does far, far more than this trivial situation.

Cheers,
Paul.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

PaulClarke wrote:
MQSCX is already written, used by dozens of customers and is very reasonably priced. It also does far, far more than this trivial situation.

Are you trying to transition from a developer to a Salesman?
Te-he

Seriously, what Paul says is correct. I have a couple of utilities that do some of what the more recent versions of MQSCX does. These were written around 5 or 6 years ago.
There are some issues with them on MQ V8.
As a result, I might not be worth me even trying to resolve them and stump up the very reasonable license fee for MQSCX.

Anyone else with homegrown tools will face the same problem as time and new versions of MQ go by

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Ha! I could probably do with improving my sales skills, I've never been very good at it. I'm only really comfortable with a C compiler in my hand.

A shame really , cos it always seems it's the salesmen that get the big bucks and the jollies
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

vsathyan wrote:
By the way, i'm writing up a tool - WebSphere MQ Control Panel which has a bunch of features ...

Don't be dissuaded by others who tell you this has already been tried or done or it will be too difficult.

You will learn many valuable skills in your efforts.
vsathyan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi Bruce,

I sincerely thank you for the moral support. I have a passion for coding applications and tools for MQ. I completely agree on your comments, that in each coding effort, there are a lot of new things which I learn.

I will seek out for inputs and all of your expert advise in the near future.
Thanks again!!
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

vsathyan wrote:
Hi Bruce,

I sincerely thank you for the moral support. I have a passion for coding applications and tools for MQ. I completely agree on your comments, that in each coding effort, there are a lot of new things which I learn.

Thanks again!!

My advice? I'm not being needlessly self-deprecating when I tell you that there are many here who know far more than I.

The collective wisdom of the ages of MQ reside in all those that contribute here.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

vsathyan wrote:
Hi Bruce,

Thanks again!!

don't mistake my comments for lack of moral support, just realise yourself why you want this. If it is your own fun and learning path you want to explore
then go ahead and enjoy... if you feel you can re-invent sliced bread for 'MQ' then you probably set yourself up for ... well... others have done it and been there...

MQSystems Facebook page
vsathyan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

@Bruce,
When I said "All of your advise" - I meant all the mqseries.net contributors.

@Michael,
I did not pick up your comment in a negative way. Not at all. I have a passion for MQ and wanna try new stuff with coding.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQSC using wild card but skip default object
Jump to: