ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Broker failover in IIB

Broker failover in IIB « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
psandip
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Broker failover in IIB Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

We need to create a production environment with MQ clustering setup in a active active broker configuration.

So QM1 - BRK1 (active)
and QM2 - BRK2 (active)

Also QM1 and QM2 are clustered.

Now if Broker on node 1 goes down, the messages still go to the QM1 (since QM1 is not down and clustering algorithm will route to it). So messages routed to QM2 get processed but not the ones going to QM1.

To avoid this, we are thinking of multi-instance broker setup and that needs a multi - instance queue manager setup . Also from what I have gathered in the infocenter, is that if the active broker goes down but not the active queue manager, the standby multi-instance broker/Qmanager will not be activated. It gets activated only if the active instance of queue manager goes down. This would still mean that if only the active broker goes down but not the QM, messages will still come to QM1 (assuming QM1 is active and QM2 is passive) and not get processed.

So is the only way around this is to create some scripts in the server which will end the queue manager service as soon as broker goes down? I have not figured how to write that script but sripting is the only thing that comes to mind to stop queue manager as soon as broker goes down. The client requirement is that as long as any of the environment (BRK1 or BRK2) is active, messages should keep on getting processed.

The client does not have HACMP. Setup is MQv7.5 and IIB9.

Any suggestions welcome please.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Usually the broker going down and the qmgr staying up is a human intervention thing or just a not following procedure thing.

If you plan on stopping the broker, make sure you suspend it's qmgr from the cluster first. Wait one minute and verify there is no more traffic. Then you can stop the broker.... The same way wait until the broker is up before resuming the qmgr in the cluster...

Have fun
psandip
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

Many thanks for reply.

It is not that I am planning to stop the broker. The question I am facing is what if the broker goes down due to unexpected reason but the QM stays up. I have seen this happen sometimes , when the broker does not go down but it just does not respond in a timely manner to issued commands. That is what I need to mitigate here.

But thanks to your answer I also get the hint that if I need to write a script I could rather suspend the queue manager from the cluster instead of ending it.

So maybe we can have a long running shell script in the background which issues mqsilist command at regular intervals and if no response within a certain time, try to suspend the queue manager from the cluster and send out notification as well.

I am not an expert in shell scripting so do not know the cons of having a long running script in background, that is , whether it will at one point of time consume a lot of the system resources.

An alternative might be to have triggers setup so that if curdepth reaches a certain value, execute that script, but then we need to place the triggers then on all the MQInput queues.

Still thinking of other approaches.

Thanks once again for your help.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You need to figure out some way to monitor the status of the broker, and react accordingly if it falls down.

Probably this means some manual investigation and action. You can try using some basic shell scripting to look for certain kinds of processes (DataFlowEngines, for example), and doing a broker start.

But that won't work if there's a persistent issue.
psandip
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

Many thanks for reply.

Yes if broker falls down, manual investigation has to be there. Totally agree on this. Just script alone cannot do all.

All the more good now. Looks like the shell script is getting concrete.

A better version would be I think that the shell script can look for Data Flow Engines, and if necessary attempt a broker restart by itself and if that fails, suspend the queue manager from cluster. Suspending is better than what I had originally thought which was to endmqm it, but that would have been an issue if there were non-persistent messages, thanks to fjb_saper for that idea.

Having an automated means to monitor the status of the broker would also be a great thing. That can help to proactively take corrective action.

Thanks once again for giving a good idea.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Broker failover in IIB
Jump to: