ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Reading multiple pdf files and merging them to one file

Reading multiple pdf files and merging them to one file « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqxplorer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reading multiple pdf files and merging them to one file Reply with quote

Master

Hi All,

I have a requirement where I have to read a bunch of PDF files from one location and after reading the last file, I have to merge them and make it a single file. Can this be achieved using WMB? If so, what nodes in WMB can be used to achieve this functionality?

Thanks
mqxplorer
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

This sounds like another exam question....

Ask yourself how you would do this OUTSIDE of broker?
Do you know how PDF Files are structured?
Will just concatenating them work or do you have to get inside the file and manipulate the data?

Answer those questions and then you sill start to get a handle of what is needed. Then and only then you can start to think about how a message flow might look.

What do you think then? Surely you have some ideas? Why not share them with us?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Also, there are lot of questions in this forum about working with PDFs.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mqjeff wrote:

There is a particular need in the financial industry. Usually catered for by a specific product that does the merge of the pdf files...
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

fjb_saper wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

There is a particular need in the financial industry. Usually catered for by a specific product that does the merge of the pdf files...

I've only worked with them officially at a document management company.
mqxplorer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

smdavies99 wrote:
This sounds like another exam question....

Ask yourself how you would do this OUTSIDE of broker?
Do you know how PDF Files are structured?
Will just concatenating them work or do you have to get inside the file and manipulate the data?

Answer those questions and then you sill start to get a handle of what is needed. Then and only then you can start to think about how a message flow might look.

What do you think then? Surely you have some ideas? Why not share them with us?

Requirement is to just retrieve all the PDF files from a specific location and concatenating all the files into a single PDF file. We do not have to get inside the file and manipulate the data. I was planning to use Collector node but I have not tried as one of my colleagues in other team told that they had lot of issues (outages) with Collector node and suggested not to use it. I have never worked with PDFs in WMB. What other nodes can be used to achieve this functionality?

Thanks
mqxplorer
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If you aren't in any way manipulating the contents, then it doesn't matter that they are PDFs.

There are other ways to do collection patterns than using the Collector node. But they are clumsier and not necessarily any better in performance.

If your colleagues are already doing collections without the collector node, then why should you use a different method than they are?
mqxplorer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

mqjeff wrote:
If you aren't in any way manipulating the contents, then it doesn't matter that they are PDFs.

There are other ways to do collection patterns than using the Collector node. But they are clumsier and not necessarily any better in performance.

If your colleagues are already doing collections without the collector node, then why should you use a different method than they are?

My colleagues used collector nodes for some other purposes .. not for this kind of requirement and they faced some performance issues for their other requirements based solution. This is a new requirement for a new project and I am exploring the different options while posting questions in forums in parallel. Please share any ideas which help design my solution ...

Thanks
mqxplorer
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

May I humbly suggest that you start by looking at the 'thing' you are going to have to deliver.
Does just concatenating multiple PDF's into one work with the 'thing' that is going to recieve them.

This will tell you a lot about the sort of work you are going to have to do in Broker. If you need to do something other than just concatenate the files then you are in for a lot of Java pain(IMHO)

I've found that the Collector Node while it has a good number of huge traps for the unwary can work well BUT with limitations.
It is not so good (IMHO) for open ended collections. These are the ones where you don't know how many elements are to be used in a collection.
For these we use a method of storing them in a DB rather than a collector node solution.
For fixed collection sizes upto and including 5 items we use Collector Nodes. any more than that and we revert to the DB Solution.
Our canned DB solution actually produces an output that is identical to the collector node one so we can slot it in if needed.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Reading multiple pdf files and merging them to one file
Jump to: