ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Can we start two listener with same port number?

Can we start two listener with same port number? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ranjan1247
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Can we start two listener with same port number? Reply with quote

Novice

Can we start two listener with same port number in different qmgr but the qmgrs belong to same server?

Ok let me expalain

I have a server :XYZ

XYZ server has 2 qmgrs:QM1, QM2

both qmgrs has default listener.I want to start both the listener.
Is it possible to start both the listener?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Have you tried it? What were the results?
ranjan1247
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

yes i tried.
i could not do it.showing errors as
An attempt to bind the TCP/IP socket to the listener port was unsuccessful.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

As you have found, you can only have one thing listening on a PORT. This is not an MQ issue but a restriction of the TCP/IP network stack.

Care to explain why you need to have both QMGRS listening on the same port?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
ranjan1247
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thank you replying....
Actually QM2 was deactivated but the now they want both the qmgr up .

We need to change the port and reconfigure it
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

smdavies99 wrote:
As you have found, you can only have one thing listening on a PORT. This is not an MQ issue but a restriction of the TCP/IP network stack.

Care to explain why you need to have both QMGRS listening on the same port?

I agree that the configuration to recommend here is having the two queue managers listen on different ports. But just a note that TCP does allow for a listening or passive socket to allow multiple listeners to be able to listen on the same port/socket, based on the SO_REUSEADDR setting (based on my understanding ). For the MQ distributed listener, I believe allowing only one instance of the listener to listen on a port is done by setting an environment variable like "export AMQ_NO_SO_REUSE=YES". Please note I am NOT recommending that setting here .
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Also note that should you manage to have 2 qmgrs listening on the same port, your second qmgr better be an exact clone of the first one, or you will run into a number of problems too ugly to contemplate. Even though you will run into channel number sequence problems etc...

Should it be possible to have 2 qmgrs listening on the same interface and port , I recommend against it. There is no problem having 2 qmgrs listen on the same port but on a different IP (interface). Just make sure the correct ipaddr information is added to the listener definition.
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

Yes, and just to clarify, I am not recommending that configuration (two queue managers listening on the same port). However, we have run into issues where the MQ listener is listening on a port and another listener (i.e. WAS/JBoss JVM) mistakenly comes along and starts a listener on the same port, which causes channel connectivity problems for our queue manager. One recommendation we got from the MQ support team is that environment variable I mentioned (AMQ_NO_SO_REUSE=YES), which will prevent that from happening. But I also believe running your listener with that setting can also prevent the listener from being able to restart if you have some "lingering" connections against that port, so we do not use that setting for our listener. We just find the WAS/JBoss JVM that is incorrectly configured and get the administrator/app team to correct it .

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Can we start two listener with same port number?
Jump to: