ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » nestat command and message flow execution

nestat command and message flow execution « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ruimadaleno
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: nestat command and message flow execution Reply with quote

Master

Hi all,

a quick question just to check my sanity

WMB 8.0.0.4 running on windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise
Single execution group (named default) listening on port 7800
Using http embedded listener (execution group listener)

in command prompt i run:

netstat -an | find /c "7800"

result: 43

Interpretation: In This point of time there were 43 connections to http embedded listener (in several states of the connection cycle of life - established, time_wait, fin_wait_2 ,etc)

nestat -an | find "7800" | find /c "ESTABLISHED"
result: 6

Interpretation: In This point of time there were 6 message flows executing, ie, processing messages.

is this correct ?

Rui Madaleno
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Possible, but without looking at the connection status itself it is hard to say.
Connections in status FIN_WAIT will still show up in your first query...

Have fun
ruimadaleno
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Hi fjb_saper,

in the second netstat command i use a "filter" to get only the connections on state "ESTABLISHED"

nestat -an | find "7800" | find /c "ESTABLISHED"

what i'm trying to undestand is the relation (if it exists) between the number of connections in state "established" to port 7800 and the number of message flows processing messages in the moment.

So, if the above command result is , let's say, 40 , can i assume that 40 message flows are processing messages ?

Rui Madaleno
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

No you can assume that 40 instances of message flows are processing...

So if you have 2 message flows at 20 instances total (19 additional) that would mean that you are processing at full capacity?

What has observation told you so far?

ruimadaleno
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Hi fjb_saper,

that's not the way i suspect things work.

in a single server, single broker, single execution group, using embedded http listener, if i have 40 connections on state "established" to port 7800 can i assume there are 40 executions of message flows currently running ?

i'm trying to understand if a netstat | find "7800" | find "Established" is a good measure on the load of broker.

I'm not trying to understand if message flow A is processing at full capacity while message flow B is processing at half power. I understand i cannot relate the established connections to a particular message flow because all message flows in this broker share the same port (7800)

Rui Madaleno
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ruimadaleno wrote:

i'm trying to understand if a netstat | find "7800" | find "Established" is a good measure on the load of broker.

I'm not trying to understand if message flow A is processing at full capacity while message flow B is processing at half power. I understand i cannot relate the established connections to a particular message flow because all message flows in this broker share the same port (7800)

The same way it is an illusion to try to measure the broker load with that key indicator.
Having the count of established connections is just that. You can approximate this to the number of INSTANCES running across all flows, but even there I would not know if this is an exact measure.

If for a certain flow you get a little backup and the queue has some depth (internal queue for http or soap), does that translate in an established connection? You'd have to talk to folks in Hursley about the broker's connection pooling and handling...

The best measure of broker activity / load is still the brokers activity statistics. You may want to enable them for each flow and subscribe to them. Let your monitoring tool collect them. Then you can compare over time.

Have fun

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » nestat command and message flow execution
Jump to: