ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Is there a way to make a subflow a separate UOW ?

Is there a way to make a subflow a separate UOW ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Is there a way to make a subflow a separate UOW ? Reply with quote

Knight

I have a message flow which does some MQ work and DB updates and it is a single UOW (very standard message flow). I now want to reuse the function and make it a subflow. But I also want it to be a separate UOW from the UOW of the flow that calls the subflow. That is regardless of the main flow is successful or not I need the work done by the subflow committed if the the sub flow completes all the work. I know that I can do node level commit such as using 'commit' in a compute node to commit work done inside the compute node as a separate UOW from the main flow. But I am looking for a way to do UOW at a subflow level.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Is the SLA so tight that this work needs to be done as a subflow, and you can't squeeze in a call to another real flow (using MQ or etc.) ?
McueMart
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Sounds like a valid RFE to be able to put multiple nodes (or a complete subflow) within the same axillary transaction.

I doubt the development team would go for it though as it would complicate the already complex transaction model of broker.

Also, as mqjeff says, you can do this already by just invoking a separate flow.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

We just need the confirmation that it cannot be done. Not any tight SLA issue. We were look for a way to see if we can dynamically control the UOW of this particular subflow (either a separate UOW or the same UOW as the mainflow). If we use an intermediate input node, then it will definitely be a separate UOW.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If it *can* be done, and I'm only saying *if*...

You would have to do stuff with PROPAGATE to push things down a path that commited a bunch of transactions, and then do something to ensure that when you returned, the existing transactions were still open.

I don't know how to do the second part, but *perhaps* you could manage it by throwing and catching exceptions.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Thanks for the suggestion mqjeff. I'll see what I can do with the propagate statement.
The suggestion was it is much straight forward to use an intermediate node if I want the UOW to be separated. But I need some suggestion on how I can better control unexpected situations.

Mainflow ---- subflow (commit subflow uow) -----mainflow continue (commit mainflow UOW)

My thinking with the suggestion is
Mainflow ---- intermediate output (MQOUTPUT, Q1) ----(MQGET-WAIT Q2)--- mainflow continue (commit mainflow UOW)

MQINPUT, Q1 --- 'subflow logic' -- MQoutput Q2(subflow UOW commit)

This will work. But I have to prevent unexpected situations such as someone accidentally put a message to Q1 and kick off the 'subflow' logic or for whatever reason a message is left behind in Q1. I need to make sure the Q1 and Q2 are empty when each iteration of the mainflow is started.
Is using something other than MQ, such as http request/response be better ? Any suggestion ?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Is there a way to make a subflow a separate UOW ?
Jump to: