ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » CA signing with same dn

CA signing with same dn « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pintrader
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: CA signing with same dn Reply with quote

Disciple

hi
I have a server A, and server B
On server A, I did a CSR with -dn = "mydomain.com,O=blah1,OU=blah2,L=blah3,C=blah4". Then its signed with a CA such as entrust. I perform the adding of the necessary certs into MQ and is working fine.
However, now I create a new keystore on server B, and use the same label and -dn (used for server A) for creating the CSR. After signing with the same CA, i added the root/chain certs and its ok. however when i try to receive the server cert i encounter error :

Code:
CTGSK3009W One or more certificates in the keystore could not be loaded.

Is it due to using the same -dn and label? what could be the problem? thanks
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: CA signing with same dn Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

pintrader wrote:
Is it due to using the same -dn and label?

Yes. Why would 2 certs ever legitimately have the same dn and label? Given that dn is an abbreviation of Distinguished Name, why did you think they didn't need to distingush the 2 certs? Given the label is how the certs are retrieved from the store (like laundry labels in a dry cleaners) why did you think they didn't need to be unique?
pintrader
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CA signing with same dn Reply with quote

Disciple

Vitor wrote:
pintrader wrote:
Is it due to using the same -dn and label?

Yes. Why would 2 certs ever legitimately have the same dn and label? Given that dn is an abbreviation of Distinguished Name, why did you think they didn't need to distingush the 2 certs? Given the label is how the certs are retrieved from the store (like laundry labels in a dry cleaners) why did you think they didn't need to be unique?

hi thanks, so in a way, if I have a UAT environment set up, i cannot just bring the keystore over to a production and use it. I must create another CSR with a different label and dn? however, can my labels be the same because I have given same QMGR name to UAT and production. thanks
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CA signing with same dn Reply with quote

Jedi Council

pintrader wrote:
hi thanks, so in a way, if I have a UAT environment set up, i cannot just bring the keystore over to a production and use it...

Nothing to stop you doing that - sites have been cloning client key stores since the dawn of SSL and IBM MQ - but not advisable.

pintrader wrote:
...I must create another CSR with a different label and dn?...

Why would you not want to ensure separation of UAT and Production by ensuring the DN is unique to each queue manager, e.g. by the CN value?

pintrader wrote:
...however, can my labels be the same because I have given same QMGR name to UAT and production. thanks

Your labels can be whatever you want them to be, they're effectively a free-form field, however, that does not mean the queue manager will be able to make use of the certificate unless you're on IBM MQ V8.0, and (IMHO) it's not a good idea to 'duplicate' queue managers as it can lead to all sorts of head-scratching at times, or disaster where clustering (MQ-style) is used.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: CA signing with same dn Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

pintrader wrote:
hi thanks, so in a way, if I have a UAT environment set up, i cannot just bring the keystore over to a production and use it.

That's a bad idea, as it means the SSL is not separating UAT & Prod. Your auditors may have a view.

pintrader wrote:
I have given same QMGR name to UAT and production.

Certificates notwithstanding this is a very, very bad idea. You should not have identically named queue managers in your estate. Aside from the possible confusion (UAT changes being accidentally applied to Prod), if you ever want to use a MQ cluster your job will be much, much harder.

Best practice is to have separately named queue managers hosting identically named objects in (your example) UAT & Prod.
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: CA signing with same dn Reply with quote

Grand Master

pintrader wrote:
...I have given same QMGR name to UAT and production. thanks

Do yourself a giant favor and uniquely name each and every Qmgr in your network (which is a "Best Practice"). Also for SSL that goes with the Qmgr, make the CN=<QmgrName> which will aid in SSLPEER filtering. If you are using Internal CAs (which is nothing more than a self signed certificate used to sign CSRs), make one for PROD and a different one for non-PROD. This will make it impossible to connect non-PROD with PROD (also a "Best Practice").
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: CA signing with same dn Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

JosephGramig wrote:
Do yourself a giant favor and uniquely name each and every Qmgr in your network (which is a "Best Practice"). Also for SSL that goes with the Qmgr, make the CN=<QmgrName> which will aid in SSLPEER filtering. If you are using Internal CAs (which is nothing more than a self signed certificate used to sign CSRs), make one for PROD and a different one for non-PROD. This will make it impossible to connect non-PROD with PROD (also a "Best Practice").

Impossible I think not. Will it require a deliberate effort? Certainly!
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: CA signing with same dn Reply with quote

Grand Master

fjb_saper wrote:
JosephGramig wrote:

Impossible I think not. Will it require a deliberate effort? Certainly!

Well, starting with a naming standard would help...
Like QmgrName with the following pattern:
ABBBCNM

Where:
A is P=PROD,U=UAT,T=TEST,D=DEV
BBB is Application code or department (ARD for accounts receivable department)
C is A for application use, R for Full Repositor, G for Gateway, B for IIB
N is 0..9 for Horizontal scaling (multiple Qmgrs in a cluster on different boxes doing load balancing)
M is 0..9 for Vertical scaling (multiple Qmgrs in a cluster on the same box doing load balancing)

For example: PARDA00 would be PROD accounts receivable department's application Qmgr of just one.

Keep QmgrNames to 9 or less characters because the names are best used in channels FromQmgr.ToQmgr and channels have a 20 character length.

Or just name them after dead rock stars.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » CA signing with same dn
Jump to: