ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » WMB / IIB compatibility with MQ v8?

WMB / IIB compatibility with MQ v8? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: WMB / IIB compatibility with MQ v8? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I imagine it's fairly likely that IIB v9 with work with MQ v8, but can anyone tell me the official position of the following

WMB v7006 - does it work (and is it officially supported) with MQ v7.5 or MQ v8?

IIB v9001 - - does it work (and is it officially supported) with MQ v8?
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/prodguid/v1r0/clarity-reports/report/xml/prereqsForProduct

Seems that WMB 7006 only works with MQ 7.5 if that version of MQ is the primary installation.

That is annoying, since I thought the whole point of multiversion install was to allow the customer flexibility of when to upgrade their queue managers.

Now I find that I can't upgrade my 7.0.1 QMs (as they all have a WMB 7006 broker) since my MQ 7.5 is a secondary installation. Unless I also upgrade WMB to IIB which is another matter entirely.

No mention of support for MQ v8 anywhere yet.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

zpat wrote:

No mention of support for MQ v8 anywhere yet.

Patience Grasshopper, Patience....

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:

Now I find that I can't upgrade my 7.0.1 QMs (as they all have a WMB 7006 broker) since my MQ 7.5 is a secondary installation.

Uninstall 7.0.1.
Install 7.5.
7.5 is now the primary installation.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Yes, but that means a load more work, a big-bang migration, not the choice of each QM when I choose (a major selling point of multi-version MQ).

So I've already installed v7.5 non-disruptively - now I have to install it again disruptively? Not exactly what I hoped for with multi-version MQ.

I presume that I can have MQ 7.5 installed both as primary and secondary if I so chose (since I am already using the secondary install)?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
Yes, but that means a load more work, a big-bang migration, not the choice of each QM when I choose (a major selling point of multi-version MQ).

So I've already installed v7.5 non-disruptively - now I have to install it again disruptively? Not exactly what I hoped for with multi-version MQ.

I presume that I can have MQ 7.5 installed both as primary and secondary if I so chose (since I am already using the secondary install)?

Easier than that.
Uninstall 7.0.1 and make 7.5 primary. You will probably have to reboot (windows).
7.0.1 has to be the primary if co-located...
you can also first migrate all the 7.0.1 qmgrs to 7.5 and then remove 7.0.1 and change 7.5 to be primary...
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

It's Unix.

I can't migrate to MQ 7.5 in advance because WMB 7006 brokers will not tolerate 7.5 as a secondary install.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Tough luck with that. But I would not think that there is a need to reinstall.
Just stop the brokers and 7.0.1 qmgrs, uninstall 7.0.1 and set MQ 7.5 as primary, and migrate the qmgrs..., restart the brokers...

BTW did you try setting the level of WMQ with the setmqenv command in a command file that gets picked up by mqsiprofile?

Would that get around your restriction about 7.0.1 being the primary?

Have fun
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Yes, a big bang migration of 701 to 7.5 is possible - but I would have preferred to tackle one QM at a time (because the pain increases with the square of the number of applications affected at the same time).

It's not my WMB 7006 restriction - it's the IBM documented support statement.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Well, you can still do it qmgr at a time, as long as you migrate each broker at the same time...
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Yes, I was trying to avoid that dependency though, and leave that broker migration fun for later (maybe after fixpack v9003)..!
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

New info regarding WMB 8 and MQ 8

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21685548&myns=swgws&mynp=OCSSKM8N&mync=E

Quote:

Websphere Message Broker v7
WebSphere MQ V8 is not supported for use with Websphere Message Broker v7

Websphere Message Broker v8 - Runtime
WebSphere MQ V8 is supported from Websphere Message Broker V8.0.0.4 onwards and the following steps will need to be taken in order for this to work:

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » WMB / IIB compatibility with MQ v8?
Jump to: