ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Integrating Microsoft Azure PaaS with WMQ

Integrating Microsoft Azure PaaS with WMQ « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
4integration
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Integrating Microsoft Azure PaaS with WMQ Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi

We must be able to use WMQ from Microsoft Azure PaaS and are looking for solutions. I have posted a PMR but also want feedback/thoughts/experiences from the community

In our current setup we have WMQ Servers deployed on a corporate network accessible from Internet with server connection channels using SSL so "normal" applications can use WMQ Client to connect/send/receive
messages.

With Microsoft Azure PaaS (Worker Role and Web Role) we cannot install WMQ Client as with the standard WMQ Client installation package.
Azure Service bus have capabilities to use AMQP but WMQ doesn't support that which is a pity.

Have you any experience with Azure PaaS and WMQ integrations?
Do you have any suggestions on solutions?

The application to be deployed in Azure can include DLLs to be used but to my knowledge WMQ doesn't support WMQ Client DLLs to be picked as files and included with the application.
- Is it even doable?
- Have you seen any instruction/documentation on it?

Regards
Joacim
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

isn't this what IBM MQ's support for WCF is for?
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.csqzav.doc/un12025_.htm

MQSystems Facebook page
4integration
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback
I cannot see how WCF would solve the issue since it's still dependent on XMS and MQI = WMQ Client installation

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.csqzav.doc%2Fun12350_.htm

"The WebSphere® MQ custom channel for WCF is integrated on top of the IBM Message Service Client for .NET (XMS .NET) API.
All the required components are installed by default with the WebSphere MQ V7.0.1 installation.
"
exerk
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Integrating Microsoft Azure PaaS with WMQ Reply with quote

Jedi Council

4integration wrote:
...With Microsoft Azure PaaS (Worker Role and Web Role) we cannot install WMQ Client as with the standard WMQ Client installation package...

Not being at all Azure-aware, what is the technical reason that WMQ cannot be installed please?
Tibor
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Sorry for my ignorance, but there is no a .NET-based MQ client (without platform-dependent components), as it exists for Java?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Tibor wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but there is no a .NET-based MQ client (without platform-dependent components), as it exists for Java?

Yes, there is.
Tibor
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Jeff, it could be a good news for this Azure question, because they simple use this component without any installation error...
4integration
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Integrating Microsoft Azure PaaS with WMQ Reply with quote

Disciple

exerk wrote:
4integration wrote:
...With Microsoft Azure PaaS (Worker Role and Web Role) we cannot install WMQ Client as with the standard WMQ Client installation package...

Not being at all Azure-aware, what is the technical reason that WMQ cannot be installed please?

I have heard a guy making an installation by bundle the MSI package in the app. When they start the service it checks if WMQ Client is installed and if not it executes a silent install. SSL certificate locations etc are looked up in runtime.

So can be done but with tricks and likely not very robust.

Since services can be moved in the PaaS to provide high quality of service (availability, scalability etc) and that means the installation will execute several times (takes time and risk for failure).
4integration
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

mqjeff wrote:
Tibor wrote:

Yes, there is.

Jeff; please enlighten me

What component/libs are you thinking of?

To my knowledge there is no similar way as for Java (JMS libs/Resource adapter) but I would be very happy if I am wrong.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Look up the concept of a managed library in .NET. Be aware that there are some limitations to using a managed library...
rob_nicholson
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just check/ Is the problem that you are having that you would like to be able to bundle the "Websphere Classes for .NET" [1] with you Azure PaaS web worker but you cannot. Is that because [1] contains some native code that does not run on Azure.

I have not tried this myself. Have you tried to extract the libraries out of [1] and bundle them with your Azure App? (Not implying this would be supported just want to understand if you have tried it and found it not to work). My understanding (2nd hand) is that these classes are not pure DLR managed code but include some DLLs. Is that what is causing the problem?

[1] http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q029250_.htm
4integration
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

fjb_saper wrote:
Look up the concept of a managed library in .NET. Be aware that there are some limitations to using a managed library...

Thanks. Yes, checked it out but unfortunately its limitation of not supporting SSL is an issue since we use that for all external WMQ connections (as mentioned in first post).
Potentially if we could have Azure configured with VPN to our internal WMQ, then maybe it can be an option.
Tibor
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

4integration wrote:
Yes, checked it out but unfortunately its limitation of not supporting SSL is an issue ...

It is so clumsy. Java implementation contains (almost) all the features so I don't really understand why .NET implemenation ignored SSL support.
4integration
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

rob_nicholson wrote:
Can I just check/ Is the problem that you are having that you would like to be able to bundle the "Websphere Classes for .NET" [1] with you Azure PaaS web worker but you cannot. Is that because [1] contains some native code that does not run on Azure.

I have not tried this myself. Have you tried to extract the libraries out of [1] and bundle them with your Azure App? (Not implying this would be supported just want to understand if you have tried it and found it not to work). My understanding (2nd hand) is that these classes are not pure DLR managed code but include some DLLs. Is that what is causing the problem?

[1] http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q029250_.htm

Hi Rob,
Yes, if we could extract the necessary files from WMQ Client and bundle them as part of the application that will be deployed on Azure as Web Role or Worker Role; that would probably do the trick. You mention support and yes that is essential for us as a large enterprise to run solutions supported by our vendors (e.g. IBM and MS). Then of course we don't have 100% supported solutions but we must avoid them as long as possible.
Therefore we have not tried this trick ...unless we get a confirmation/guidance from IBM. That's why I have posted a PMR but also wanted this thread to discuss the challenge (for other to learn from) and eventually get ideas for a solution that works and doesn't violate the support

Regards
Joacim
shashikanth_in
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

MQ V8 supports SSL/TLS in both .NET managed and unmanaged mode as documented here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.pro.doc/q120370_.htm

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Integrating Microsoft Azure PaaS with WMQ
Jump to: