ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral DiscussionNeed to Understand Requirements to Connect a System i to Web

Need to Understand Requirements to Connect a System i to Web View previous topic :: View next topic
GuyFromNY
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:50 pm Post subject: Need to Understand Requirements to Connect a System i to Web Reply with quote

Hello. Firstly, we have absolutely no MQ experience. None. But we want to learn. We currently have a need to connect our System i (AKA "iSeries", "AS/400") to Websphere MQ to send and receive message to/from another business unit. Our System i has i5/OS V5R4. (Yes, we know the OS old. There is a reason why we continue with it.)

We are aware of MQ Manager and Websphere MQ, but we are not sure what is truly needed. Would anyone know of any resources we could access for answers? We have looked online, but some of the info we found seemed to contradict some of our earlier understanding.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
GuyFromNY
rammer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Hi

Take a start by looking in here, this is for the latest version 7.5 of MQ. There are sections for Developing Applications with various examples.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.helphome.doc%2Fwmq_helphome.html
GuyFromNY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rammer. Thanks for the link. We went down this road and saw that MQ 7.5 does not appear to be supported by the System i anymore. Adding to our confusion is that MQ 7.1 required i5/OS V6.1 at a minimum, so 7.5 would have even higher requirements that we might not be able to meet.
rammer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

GuyFromNY wrote:
Hi rammer. Thanks for the link. We went down this road and saw that MQ 7.5 does not appear to be supported by the System i anymore. Adding to our confusion is that MQ 7.1 required i5/OS V6.1 at a minimum, so 7.5 would have even higher requirements that we might not be able to meet.

sorry I didnt read or missed originally the platform you have. Incidentally does 7.0.1 support that platform?
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Although just because a version of the iOS is not supported (i.e. it was not specifically tested during the MQ product development by IBM), doesn't mean that it won't work.

However it's more likely to work with MQ 7.0.1 than MQ 7.5.

Alternatively (if you don't care about having current MQ support) you could install MQ v6.0.2
GuyFromNY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zpat,

At this point, we aren't sure that MQ 7.5 works on the System i at all! I read that it works for AIX, Linux, Windows, and one other platform, but I did not see a single sentence that stated the System i works with MQ 7.5. Not one.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Here's the Announcement Letter for MQ 7.1. It lists System i.
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=877&letternum=ENUSZP11-0483

The Announcement Letter for MQ 7.5 specifically excludes z/OS, and completely ignores System i.
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/5/649/ENUSA12-0885/index.html&lang=en&request_locale=en#&MPPEFSCH=5724-H72&MPPEFFDR=1973-01-01&MPPEFTDR=2012-10-09&MPPEFFTR=CONTENTS&MPPEFSRT=2

I would assume MQ 7.1 is the latest version of MQ for iSeries.
GuyFromNY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PeterPotkay,

Thank you for confirming! We have to go with MQ version 7.0.1. With the determination of which MQ version to use, I now go back to the original question of what is truly needed for us to use MQ. That is, we are an RPG shop. We have no Java, no real use of XML, SOAP, RPC, WSDLs, web services, or other methods and protocols, but we do have a very limited PHP presence. What parts of MQ will we need (Queue Managers, Clients, something else?) and how can we access them via RPG are the lingering questions. Again, we are not looking for anyone to hold our hands. We just need pointers, reference materials online, and anything else that could be of help. We've searched, but come up with goose eggs. Regardless, the bottom line is that we want to do this ourselves, but we need an assist in getting started. If anyone could help in that regard, it would be most welcome.

Thanks!
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Have you looked at the relevant sections for iseries in the infocenter yet? http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/zi00160_.htm

bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

GuyFromNY wrote:
Hello. Firstly, we have absolutely no MQ experience. None. ... the bottom line is that we want to do this ourselves, but we need an assist in getting started. If anyone could help in that regard, it would be most welcome.

I would strongly suggest that you begin by getting some training. IBM offers some lecture, and hands-on lab exercise courses. WM101 is a one-day technical introduction to WMQ. WM20x is a 4-day lecture and hands-on system administration course.

If you also have no experience with iSeries, get some training on that, too.

It would be a wise investment to hire a consultant short-term, someone with both iSeries and WMQ experience, to help you with this.
GuyFromNY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

fjb_saper: Yes, I looked under docs for MQ 7.0.1. We can't use MQ 7.1. I found a requirements doc, but nothing of real use beyond that. I found an RPG programming for MQ reference book, so maybe that could be of use. (It's a Reference, not a true "How-To".)

bruce2359: We are comfortable with the iSeries. Most of us are longtime RPG developers on the box. We are just drawing goose eggs when it comes to understanding what we need to implement and do for MQ. Thanks for the course #s! I'll look into them!
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

WM204 is the Windows version of the WMQ system administration course; WM206 is the Linux version. IBM has not offered the iSeries version of this course in a very long time. Either WM204 or WM206 would suffice for iSeries.

If you are in a hurry, these are being offered next week.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

This is a IBM Redbook for getting introduced to Websphere MQ:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/redp0021.html?Open

This Redbook is a bigger one that I think includes what the above does, plus a whole lot more.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247583.html

Quote:

Abstract
This IBM® Red paper books® publication is divided into three parts:
* Part 1, "Introduction" on page1, provides an introduction to message-oriented middleware and the WebSphere® MQ product. We discuss the concept of messaging, explaining what is new in WebSphere MQ V7.0 and how it is implemented. An overview is provided on how it fits within the service-oriented architecture (SOA) framework.
* Part 2, "WebSphere MQ V7.0 enhancements and changes" on page 41, explains the new WebSphere MQ V7.0 features and enhancements in detail and includes compatibility and the migration considerations from the previous supported versions.
* Part 3, "Scenario” on page253, contains a scenario that demonstrates how the new features and enhancements work and how to use them. The sample programs and scripts used for this scenario are available for download by following the instructions in Appendix B, "Additional material" on page379.

And finally this:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.amqwac.doc/iq10120_.htm
For MQ 7.0.1, its the Quick Beginnings for iSeries
Quote:

This section describes IBM® WebSphere® MQ for i5/OS™, Version 7.0. It explains how to plan for and install the product, and get started using it.

GuyFromNY
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I think I've learned enough from respondents and the links that were provided to make the following call:

Acquire MQ Version: 7.0.1
Create/Use 2 Queue Managers
--1 inbound queue / message channel
--1 outbound queue / message channel
No MQ Client (not supported on System i)
No clustering needed

I'm hoping I didn't miss anything.

Thanks, everyone! Take a bow!

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral DiscussionNeed to Understand Requirements to Connect a System i to Web
Jump to: