ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere DataPower » SSL Session Caching (DP firmware 6)

SSL Session Caching (DP firmware 6) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
hopsala
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: SSL Session Caching (DP firmware 6) Reply with quote

Guardian

Hey,

So I've been looking into DP's session caching parameters in the SSL Proxy Profile:
1a. Server-Side Session Caching (on/off)
1b. Server-Side Cache Timeout (seconds)
1c. Server-Side Cache Size (entries x1024)
2a. Client-Side Session Caching (on/off)
2b. Client-Side Cache Timeout (seconds)
2c. Client-Side Cache Size (entries)

The idea is, supposedly, that rather than opening a new SSL session on every request, DP will keep sessions open against the back-end (Client-Side cache) and will allow the front-end to keep its SSL session open for reuse (Server-Size cache)

Now, before I go production with this, I'd like to know a little more. Thing is, the literature contains barely two sentences about these parameters, and neither google or redbooks have proven to be much help. I was only able to find this rather terse technote: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21442571
and the following snippet from a redbook (http://tinyurl.com/nhctwrg): (p.125) "By default, SSL server implementations cache SSL session-specific state data, such as the session ID, the peer certificate, compression method, and crypto specs and secrets."

Hardly golden material. So, in case anyone has any experience with this, I'd love to know:
1. Why is it "entriesx1024"? I don't get the sense of this. The default is 20, which, allegedly, means that DP will let the front-end keep 20480 SSL sessions open at any given time?? really?
2. Is there any way to control the cache? clear it? view it?
3. Did I get the idea of server-side caching correctly - that it just "allows" the client to keep sessions open? why is this important? I mean, can't the client just keep the connection going and do GET after GET? (or POST) Why does DP need to be aware of this?
4. Most importantly - does anyone have this working in production and can vouch for its effectiveness/safety?

Maybe after we gather a bit of data on this, I'll make a doc request so that the lit explains a little more about it.

Thanks!
hopsala
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

bump

this looks like a long and complex question, but really it's quite simple - does anyone have any experience with SSL caching and can tell me what they've found?

cheers!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere DataPower » SSL Session Caching (DP firmware 6)
Jump to: