ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral DiscussionWe found a (new) way of losing MQ Messages

We found a (new) way of losing MQ Messages View previous topic :: View next topic
mikiu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:39 pm Post subject: We found a (new) way of losing MQ Messages Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hello wise and gentle folks with an MQ interest; telling you this sad story just to feed your appetite for unusual facts on the MQ front; Scenario: messages properly put on a remote queue do not arrive to their destination without any indication of a malfunction.
z/OS app. puts message on a remote queue, queue manager is "M1" (not her real name), the message header carries remote queue manager "M2" on AIX where the target queue is also defined as a remote queue. We can see AIX "M2" properly placing message on the XMIT queue “M2-to-M3” and some messages DO arrive on the AIX queue manager "M3". The messages properly received have all a length < 5kB. We have found an incorrect setting of the MTU at the firewall level which caused messages of a length > 5kB not to arrive on the "M3" queue manager after the properly disappear from the XMIT queue ("M2"-to-"M3"). This is BAD and it took us a while to figure it out (great example of Morag’s classic “Where is your message?”).
My question is, how come there is no error message anywhere properly percolating to the MQ level that would alert us of this sad bad event. This bothers us to no end and our application developers are extremely upset when we keep saying "but MQ never does not lose no messages ever".
Just for you to know!
M.U.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You and your network folks might want to read this: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/aimsupport/entry/websphere_mq_channels_are_we_really_just_the_messenger?lang=en

The TCP/IP stack will drop frames that exceed the max MTU size you specify; but I'm surprised that 1) you received no TCP errors on either end of the channel, and 2) the MQ channel didn't fail due to the channel SEQWRAP fields mismatching.

You state that some of the messages disappear from the xmitq. Do the messages have a short expiry value?
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:16 pm Post subject: Re: We found a (new) way of losing MQ Messages Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mikiu wrote:
We have found an incorrect setting of the MTU at the firewall level which caused messages of a length > 5kB not to arrive on the "M3" queue manager after the properly disappear from the XMIT queue ("M2"-to-"M3"). This is BAD and it took us a while to figure it out (great example of Morag’s classic “Where is your message?”).
My question is, how come there is no error message anywhere properly percolating to the MQ level that would alert us of this sad bad event.

If these were persistent messages travelling over a normal (not fastpath) channel I'd expect something in the channel logs and/or the messages to remain on the XMITQ.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
The TCP/IP stack will drop frames that exceed the max MTU size you specify; but I'm surprised that 1) you received no TCP errors on either end of the channel, and 2) the MQ channel didn't fail due to the channel SEQWRAP fields mismatching.

Unless, as I've indicated, you've told the MCA it's ok to lose them.

bruce2359 wrote:
You state that some of the messages disappear from the xmitq. Do the messages have a short expiry value?

That's a good point.
mikiu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thank you for your insight ... should've specified in my initial submission that I have no idea what the actual settings of remote queue, xmit queue and sender channel are at the external partner, but I am trying to determine that at this time (not a simple process with this particular player).
Thank you,
M.U.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral DiscussionWe found a (new) way of losing MQ Messages
Jump to: