ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How to monitor remote queue

How to monitor remote queue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Mangesh1187
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: How to monitor remote queue Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi All,

One doubt here.
If I want to know the last PUT time & GET time of the local queue , I can do it by altering the MONQ attribute of the local queue.

But can anybody let me know how can monitor the Remote queue. I cant see the MONQ attribute use in case of remote queue.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You can't monitor remote queue definitions.

I opened a Request For Enhancement with IBM to be able to do this.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=31297

and they rejected it.

Please vote for it even though its rejected. I plan on resubmitting it as soon as its eligible for reconsideration.

This is such a basic requirement.
Mangesh1187
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi PeterPotkay,

Thanks for the reply.
I have voted for the link you shared. Its really useful if we able to monitor Qremote also. I will ask my other friends also to vote for this.

While I clicked on the link I can see the Reply from the IBM saying,
"While this is something we would like to do, it is unlikely to be implemented in any foreseeable time-frame.Therefore this requirement is being rejected.
However, there is similar information available via the Application Activity Trace Reports that could be used to monitor usage of queues"

Can you please explain about this 'Application Activity Trace Reports', where I can find it and how it will be helpful to monitoring.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Open the MQ 7.5 Info Center and search for "Application Activity Trace". It will explain it better than I can.

The write up in the MQ 7.1 Info Center is not as thorough.

The write up in the MQ 7.0 Info Center does not exist because the feature is new to MQ 7.1.

I think the response by IBM to that RFE was silly. Turn on trace to get simple statistics for a remote queue? I mean really. And how do they propose that the info then gets populated into all our monitoring tools that already have robust means for alerting on these statistics for local queues, and for maintaing history for these statistics allowing us to easily look back and see how busy a queue was over the past year?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to monitor remote queue Reply with quote

Poobah

Mangesh1187 wrote:
Hi All,

One doubt here.
If I want to know the last PUT time & GET time of the local queue , I can do it by altering the MONQ attribute of the local queue.

But can anybody let me know how can monitor the Remote queue. I cant see the MONQ attribute use in case of remote queue.

Do you want to know when a message was created (put to a transmit queue)? Or when it arrives on the destination queue down the network?

The only queue type that can hold messages is a QLocal. The other queue types (QRemote, QAlias, QModel) are definitions that must be resolved to a real QLocal. Name resolution takes place at MQOPEN.

I suspect that Mr. Potkay's RFE was rejected in part because it stepped on the toes of IBM's Tivoli monitoring product.
Mangesh1187
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi Bruce,

Regarding your question.
I want to know the PUT time of the remote queue and not that of xmitq that the remote queue points to.

The thing is in my organization infrastructure the single xmit queue has been used by several remote queues. Hence if I want to check the time stamp of particular remote queue, I cant not rely on the PUT time of the xmit queue as this queue used by several remote queues.

Actually yesterday I caught in the issue when Application team is saying they put the message in the remote queue, but I cant see the message in the corresponding local queue (and DLQ also)

But if there is a facility to check the Last PUT time on remote queue(like MONQ on local queue) , I could have easily prove the application team that you actually not put the message on remote queue itself.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Again, MQPUTs are to QLocal queues only. When a queue is MQOPENed, the MQPUTw are to the xmitq named in the QRemote definition. Messages are not put to QRemote definitions.

So, you need to turn on queue monitoring at the receiving end of the channel, where the destination queue (or DLQ) exists.

If the application team is telling you that their app MQPUT a message, but the message is "lost," you will need to do all those things to prove (yet again) that WMQ does not lose messages. How do they know for sure that their app MQPUT a message to the queue?

Do a search here or on google for 'mq is losing my messages'. I've yet to see MQ lose one message. I've seen many instances where app developers failed to MQPUT a message, or the message expired, etc..
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Questions to ask
  1. What were the values of the completion code and reason code on the put?
  2. was the message set to be persistent?
  3. is the network / channel between the 2 qmgrs reliable.
  4. What is the channel status?
  5. Is there a consuming application running at the receiving end?
  6. Is there a message in the DLQ at either end (or in between hop)?

Have fun

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » How to monitor remote queue
Jump to: