ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » V6 Qmgr joining V7 cluster with MI Qmgr

V6 Qmgr joining V7 cluster with MI Qmgr « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
WBI_user
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: V6 Qmgr joining V7 cluster with MI Qmgr Reply with quote

Partisan

We are running MQ V7 on linux using MQ cluster. Because of I/T merge we will be getting a number of V6 Qmgrs and they will be joinng our V7 cluster.
I have read this forum entry
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53819&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 and this IBM presentation
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27018127&aid=1

The IBM presentation suggest the use of blank conname. However that only works with default port 1414 and none of our existing Qmgrs (V6 or V7) are using 1414. Changing all MI Qmgr to use 1414 is almost impossible for us.

Both the forum entry and the IBM presentations are 2 or 3 years old (2010, 2011). I was wondering if there has been any further change or new recommendation on how to allow V6 Qmgr to join a V7 cluster with MI Qmgrs.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I would not be keen on allowing out of support queue managers from an acquired company into my cluster. Technically it should work, but they are out of support and who knows how configured by this other company.

Anyway, we play with the cards dealt us...

Check out this post:
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41304&highlight=port

You might be able to change what MQ considers the "default" port with that TCP stanza. If your multi instance QM listens on port 9876, and you set this stanza in the QM ini file to 9876, and the CLUSRCVR channel is using a blank CONNAME, its just possible that every time the QM starts it will fill in the IP address of the server its on, append port 9876 to that, update the Full Repositories of the new value, who would then update all the Partial Repositories who are interested in this Multi Instance QM. And since that would be a plain ol' fashioned single IP Address (port #) value, even old 6.0 QMs would understand it.

I have not used this with Multi Instance QMs and MQ Clusters, nor the blank conname feature of CLUSRCVR channels. Its on you to test this in a non production environment before you consider this a solution. Please report back if it works!
WBI_user
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I tested it quickly using windows. The Linux test cluster need test time scheduling.

I add a qmgr QM3438 to a cluster C3434 with blank connection name. I have port 3438 specified in the QMgr properties (in MQ explorer) and QM3438 has a running listener on port 3438.

Adding queue manager "QM3438" to cluster "C3434"
Joining the cluster as a partial repository queue manager
Creating cluster-receiver channel "TO.QM3438"
Using connection name " "
Creating cluster-sender channel "TO.QM3434" to queue manager "QM3434"

The cluster SDR chl is in retry status
DIS CHS(TO.QM3438)
9 : DIS CHS(TO.QM3438)
AMQ8417: Display Channel Status details.
CHANNEL(TO.QM3438) CHLTYPE(CLUSSDR)
CONNAME(10.243.6.15) CURRENT
RQMNAME( ) STATUS(RETRYING)
SUBSTATE( ) XMITQ(SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE)

You can see that the conname is just the IP address. I think the IBM code is just inserting the IP address and not appending the port number. So the default 1414 is used.

In the AMQERR01.log , it shows
AMQ9002: Channel 'TO.QM3438' is starting.

AMQ9202: Remote host 'R9V7T74 (10.243.6.15) (1414)' not available, retry later.

I'll test again once I have the Linux environment. But it does not look good that it will work on Linux.

I undertsnad that V6 is out of support. I am sure that there are still cluster out there with V6 and V7 Qmgrs (may not be MI). Any experience that anyone can share ?
rammer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

WBI_user wrote:

I undertsnad that V6 is out of support.

Depends on your contract with IBM and if you have extended support.
WBI_user
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Just thinking about it. The support for V6 itself and support for V6 in a V7 or newer MQ cluster environment may be different story. For example IBM can allow port number to be specified with a blank conname.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

WBI_user wrote:
For example IBM can allow port number to be specified with a blank conname.

The option of not specifying a CONNAME is not specific to MI or clusters.

From http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.doc%2Fic11650_.htm
Quote:
If you leave the connection name blank, WebSphere MQ generates a connection name for you, assuming the default port and using the current IP address of the system. You can override the default port number, but still use the current IP address of the system.

PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
WBI_user wrote:
For example IBM can allow port number to be specified with a blank conname.

The option of not specifying a CONNAME is not specific to MI or clusters.

From http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.doc%2Fic11650_.htm
Quote:
If you leave the connection name blank, WebSphere MQ generates a connection name for you, assuming the default port and using the current IP address of the system. You can override the default port number, but still use the current IP address of the system.

Ah, nice find Bruce. Maybe the solution here is for WBI_user to specify just (3438) on the conname of his CLUSRCVR channel on the MI QM. Based on this note the QM should prepend the current IP address in front of the (3438).

Although I disagree that you say its not specific to clusters. The sentence before the ones you quoted says a blank conname only applies to cluster receiver channels.
WBI_user
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Quote:
Maybe the solution here is for WBI_user to specify just (3438) on the conname of his CLUSRCVR channel on the MI QM

I did try that conname = (3438)
But it ignore it. I think the IBM code does not expect a bracket as the first character in the conname field. If I do not put the bracket, it thinks that it is the hostname or something and error out.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Ah, conjunctions. MI and clusters is what I had intended, not or.
WBI_user
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Found the difference. I am using 7.0 and it says nothing about overriding the default port. The Info center page pointed out by bruce2359 is for 7.1. Looks like that (3448) will work if I am 7.1.
Well, time for upgrade.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

WBI-user,
I think this is the exact solution for your problem. And this could be a solution for lots of other people that shy away from MI QMs because they still have to deal with pre 7.0.1 queue managers, which includes still supported 7.0.0 mainframe QMs by the way!

The manual is clear:
Quote:
For each connection name leave the IP name blank, and provide the port number in parentheses; for example:
(1415)

If its not working this way, but if it was it would solve your issue (I think it would), open a PMR. There might be a bug at the Fix Pack version you are at on your v7 queue manager.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

All nice and good if the ip will allow for the routing.
Think traversing multiple networks + NAT where only the hostname will do...

Can't remember if the latest MQIPT incorporates support for MI qmgrs...

Agreed better than nothing ....
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

fjb_saper wrote:
...Can't remember if the latest MQIPT incorporates support for MI qmgrs...

It does: "...MQIPT can be used with multi-instance queue managers in high availability environments...."
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
fjb_saper wrote:
...Can't remember if the latest MQIPT incorporates support for MI qmgrs...

It does: "...MQIPT can be used with multi-instance queue managers in high availability environments...."

So use it to front comms between V6 and V7 MI qmgr...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » V6 Qmgr joining V7 cluster with MI Qmgr
Jump to: