ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How to Calculate a time from another time?

How to Calculate a time from another time? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Kjelle13
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: How to Calculate a time from another time? Reply with quote

HI

In a Compute node I have the need to define a Timestamp which is GMT minus one hour. Anyone having an idea of how to do this without a lot of ESQL coding?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

- INTERVAL '1' HOUR

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
dogorsy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: How to Calculate a time from another time? Reply with quote

Knight

Kjelle13 wrote:
HI

In a Compute node I have the need to define a Timestamp which is GMT minus one hour. Anyone having an idea of how to do this without a lot of ESQL coding?

if you look at the documentation you will find that you do not need a lot of ESQL coding.
Kjelle13
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, however it seems like the GMTTIMESTAMP Datatype does not work for me.

Like this:
DECLARE MyGMTTimeStamp GMTTIMESTAMP CURRENT_GMTTIMESTAMP;
DECLARE TIME_RECEIVER CHARACTER SUBSTRING(CAST(MyGMTTimeStamp AS CHARACTER) FROM 12 FOR 19);

This one gives Blank Values, since when I debug it the CURRENT_GMTTIMESTAMP gives blank values.

Do I need to configure something in the Broker set or what else dop I do wrong?
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Kjelle13 wrote:
Thanks, however it seems like the GMTTIMESTAMP Datatype does not work for me.

Like this:
DECLARE MyGMTTimeStamp GMTTIMESTAMP CURRENT_GMTTIMESTAMP;
DECLARE TIME_RECEIVER CHARACTER SUBSTRING(CAST(MyGMTTimeStamp AS CHARACTER) FROM 12 FOR 19);

This one gives Blank Values, since when I debug it the CURRENT_GMTTIMESTAMP gives blank values.

Do I need to configure something in the Broker set or what else dop I do wrong?

No. You need to READ THE DOCUMENTATION !
Kjelle13
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did...
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Kjelle13 wrote:
I did...

Do it again. Your head is thick.

Code:
  Compute1 : SET Environment.Variables.XMLNSC.{ReplyId}.StartTime = CURRENT_GMTTIMESTAMP;

Compute2 :  SET Environment.Variables.XMLNSC.{ReplyId}.EndTime = CURRENT_GMTTIMESTAMP;
  SET Environment.Variables.XMLNSC.{ReplyId}.ElapsedTime = ( CAST ( Environment.Variables.XMLNSC.{ReplyId}.EndTime AS TIME ) - CAST ( Environment.Variables.XMLNSC.{ReplyId}.StartTime AS TIME )) SECOND;

Result found in Trace output :

(0x03000000:NameValue):StartTime                          = GMTTIMESTAMP '2013-10-16 11:21:11.380991' (GMTTIMESTAMP)
          (0x03000000:NameValue):EndTime                            = GMTTIMESTAMP '2013-10-16 11:23:49.963753' (GMTTIMESTAMP)
          (0x03000000:NameValue):ElapsedTime                        = INTERVAL '158.582762' SECOND (INTERVAL)

mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

And never use substring when a FORMAT clause is available.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

lancelotlinc wrote:

so in all your time using broker you have never had any problems/difficulties with date time manipulations then?

Please don't insult people like that. It is no wonder that people have said to me that this is not a very friendly forum and for that reason they don't post or visit here.
Lighten up a little.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

smdavies99 wrote:
lancelotlinc wrote:

so in all your time using broker you have never had any problems/difficulties with date time manipulations then?

Please don't insult people like that. It is no wonder that people have said to me that this is not a very friendly forum and for that reason they don't post or visit here.
Lighten up a little.

I dunno davies. There are 138 different posts on mqseries.net for manipulating GMTTIMESTAMP.

Between using Google to search mqseries.net , reading the InfoCentre that talks explictly about how to subtract two time values, or attending the training class, a reasonable person would be able to piece together the required knowledge.

When they cannot, not because the documentation is not there, but because they do not pursue it diligently (because they may be lazy), then some prick might be needed to jump-start their view of self-motivation.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It's a more complicated problem than it seems.

If in general, the forum appears 'unfriendly', then people complain.

If, in general, the forum appears 'friendly and welcoming', then thousands and thousands of people show up and start asking for everyone else to do their own work.

And then people complain.

If someone posts a basic question that is directly addressed by easy to find documentation, and nobody responds because it's obviously a waste of time, then people complain.

The important thing to aim for, I believe, is 'professional'. Not 'friendly and welcoming', not 'hostile and offputting'.

This is a professional forum, for professionals. If you've done your homework, and you are confused, or stuck, you should be able to get answers without getting jumped on.

If an answer has been given, it's better to leave the question be, rather than add to the confusion. And there's simply no reason to be directly insulting.

I do not claim to be a sterling example of the values I have espoused above. I suggest that I do at least *try* to live them.
Kjelle13
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it's an RTFM problem. May be so. However if you do your homework and still do not get it work I think it is relevant to see if any of you have hit this problem before.

The way I try to behave is: if I find a post ridicoluos (which I do sometimes) I do not bother.

I indeed agree that there may be a problem with people posting trivial coding problems, the way I would react then would be either of:
* Do not bother to answer at all
* Answer somthing in the style of ' There are some posts on this, search on ..... Hope it helps you'

This, to me , is to be professional.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Code:

declare tMyTimestamp TIMESTAMP CURRENT_GMTTIMESTAMP;

set tMyTimestamp = tMyTimestamp - INTERVAL '1' HOUR;

That should give you a timestamp (in timestamp form). You can convert it to a CHARACTER using a cast with a format clause.

Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

lancelotlinc wrote:
smdavies99 wrote:
lancelotlinc wrote:

Lighten up a little.

I dunno davies. There are 138 different posts on mqseries.net for manipulating GMTTIMESTAMP.

Between using Google to search mqseries.net , reading the InfoCentre that talks explictly about how to subtract two time values, or attending the training class, a reasonable person would be able to piece together the required knowledge.

When they cannot, not because the documentation is not there, but because they do not pursue it diligently (because they may be lazy), then some prick might be needed to jump-start their view of self-motivation.

Describing someone as "thick headed" is not professional. Using a sexual adjective to describe anyone is not professional and could be considered abusive.

This is crossing the line from even your usual style of annoying insults. Move back across the line or face sanctions.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: How to Calculate a time from another time? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Kjelle13 wrote:
HI

Ok so here we are talking about a local timestamp...
However if it is for the purpose of working with dates and times you are on the wrong path. Doesn't matter if the local time is GMT -1 or whatever as long as it is always expressed in GMT you are fine.

Now as a display timestamp the broker will support the current local timestamp.... (might be one hour off (DST) if the timestamp is not current.

My advice: timestamps (and gmttimestamps) should always be handled with a format to cast from timestamp to string and vice versa. Use Java to convert from one timezone into another (especially if not part of the broker's local TZ), but keep it all in GMT at the broker level.

And again there is no such thing as GMT -x or +x when calculating it all in GMT.

Have fun
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How to Calculate a time from another time?
Jump to: