ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Tracking and archiving all messages

Tracking and archiving all messages « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
viks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Tracking and archiving all messages Reply with quote

Hi,
We are having a scenario where we need to track and archive all the messages flowing through our queue manager. So for that I need to replicate all the messages to an another queue while the existing message transfer doesn't get affected. I've seen number options, but not sure which is the best ( or most used ). Of course since applications are already started using the environment, we don't want to change the publishing/consuming queues if possible.

While doing some research here the options that I came across are given below. I hope these are correct analysis. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) using an API exit , MirorQ:

Advantages: No need to change the queue names. Easier to setup.
Disadvantage: Not sure MirrorQ is an ideal one to sue in production. Only found 32-bit version. Performance could be an issue

2) using MQ triggers

Advantages: No need to change the queue names.
Disadvantage: Performance could be an issue.

3) using pub/sub

( based on this thread : http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51319 )

Advantages: More native MQ solution.
Disadvantages: Publishers need to change the queue name, message id will get changed after pub/sub.

We don't want to use a Broker just for this.

Please let me know if any other options are available. Also which is the better way to achieve this, in terms of performance.

I'm sure there are some organizations which does the same thing.
Appreciate your help on this.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

The fastest in performance would be for the consuming application to log each and every message received..., this being said, you'll have to prototype and take your own key measures...
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tracking and archiving all messages Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

viks wrote:

Why not ? What's wrong with using a Broker to perform what Brokers do ?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tracking and archiving all messages Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

lancelotlinc wrote:
viks wrote:

Why not ? What's wrong with using a Broker to perform what Brokers do ?

Perhaps they don't have broker at this site?
Perhaps they don't want to pay the licensing fee?
Who knows eh?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Have a look at Capitalware's Message Multiplexer

http://www.capitalware.biz/mmx_overview.html

Quote:
(MMX) application will get a message from a queue and output it to one or more queues. Context information is maintained across the message put(s). Basically, this program is a message cloner.

elkinsc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Are the messages flowing thru a z/OS queues manager? Reply with quote

Centurion

And are they persistent? If so, you can use the log utility to extract them. this has the advantage of being async, and will not impact current message throughput.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Are the messages flowing thru a z/OS queues manager? Reply with quote

Grand Master

elkinsc wrote:
And are they persistent? If so, you can use the log utility to extract them. this has the advantage of being async, and will not impact current message throughput.

Is that the log utility that only comes with zOS?

Or is that some other log utility?
elkinsc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Yes of course Reply with quote

Centurion

I did ask if they were flowing thru z/OS, so I assumed that the operating system was 'given' for the remainder of the post. Stupid me
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Yes of course Reply with quote

Grand Master

elkinsc wrote:
I did ask if they were flowing thru z/OS, so I assumed that the operating system was 'given' for the remainder of the post. Stupid me

Here? or in another thjread by the same user?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Tracking and archiving are two different activities. What exactly do you mean by 'tracking?'
Andyh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

The requirement stated here is rather vague and hence it's difficult to give good advice.

If this activity relates to message integrity, and hence only applies to persistent messages handled inside syncpoint, then these messages are guaranteed to be written to disk on the MQ recovery log at MQPUT time and their removal recorded at MQGET time.
If you're using distributed MQ with linear logging then it's possible the dmpmqlog command might enable support of your tracking and archiving requirements.
The recovery log records the physical queue file updates and as such, for example, matching MQGET's to MQPUT's isn't quite as simple as you might expect and doesn't directly identify the application consuming the message.
However all the information is there to demonstrate what messages were put to which queues and when, whether those messages were subsequently consumed, and what related artifacts were also updated.
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tracking and archiving all messages Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

viks wrote:
We are having a scenario where we need to track and archive all the messages flowing through our queue manager.

As Peter mentioned, have a look at the FREE open source project called Message Multiplexer (MMX):
http://www.capitalware.biz/mmx_overview.html

Not only can it copy the message (including MQMD) to "n" other queues, it has an Archive flag, so that the messages get written to a 'archive' file.

Now, if you want more of the tracking side of MQ then have a look at MQ Auditor:
http://www.capitalware.biz/mqa_overview.html

Its whole purpose is the 5 Ws (who, what, where when & how) plus if you really want to, you can include the message data in the Audit information.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tracking and archiving all messages Reply with quote

Jedi

viks wrote:
Hi,
We are having a scenario where we need to track and archive all the messages flowing through our queue manager.
....Please let me know if any other options are available. Also which is the better way to achieve this, in terms of performance.
I'm sure there are some organizations which does the same thing.
Appreciate your help on this.

MQ does not have any built in features to track and archive all messages. Any MQ "internal" or "band-aid" solution you can think of will have weaknesses in one or more areas.

It is far easier and more reliable for an application to write MQ messages to a database or an application log immediately after producing or consuming each message.

What are you going to do with the messages?
viks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PeterPotkay, RogerLacroix for the MMX. This is definitely something similar to what I'm looking for.

bruce2359 wrote:
Tracking and archiving are two different activities. What exactly do you mean by 'tracking?'

The requirement is to have a copy of all the messages passing through the queue manager in database plus the tracking details like, when the message arrived.

gbaddeley wrote:

It is far easier and more reliable for an application to write MQ messages to a database or an application log immediately after producing or consuming each message.

In our case we have 100 or more producer and consumer applications, so it' easier to do this ourselves than asking each application to do it.

gbaddeley wrote:

What are you going to do with the messages?

There is an application which needs all these messages that is been archived, for certain calculation/processing.
I do agree that in theory this is more off a pub/sub requirement, but then we need to redesign the setup where the current applications at least needs to change their end points. So trying to achieve this with no or minimal changes on the connecting applications.

Thanks everyone for their feedback.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Quote:

I do agree that in theory this is more off a pub/sub requirement, but then we need to redesign the setup where the current applications at least needs to change their end points. So trying to achieve this with no or minimal changes on the connecting applications.

What about using Alias Queues to avoid having all the clients change their endpoints?

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Tracking and archiving all messages
Jump to: