ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How to compare two xml values in esql

How to compare two xml values in esql « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqceries
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: How to compare two xml values in esql Reply with quote

Acolyte

HI friends,

Now the requirement wont be as simple as the title. As part of development we have to compare two xml values and next steps follow on this condition. Problem is input xmls were not well formatted and most of the elements have values \t's and \n's at the end. I have been reading those values with LIKE and % at the end. Now i have to read those values into variables and compare them...

<attributeOne>Value
</attributeOne>

while debugging i am seeing the value as Value\t\t\t\t\n (similar to this)

and some elements are properly build

<atrributeTwo>Value</attributeTwo>

now i have to read these into variables and compare them..

please help..

we are using

Code:

MB toolkit Version: 7.0.0.4
Build id: 7.0.0.4-IFix-20120718_1357

Broker : 7.0.0.4

Thanks.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

How are you parsing the input stream?

Some options

1) If you are using XMLNSC to create your message tree you could always use the
REPLACE function to remove the offending characters.

2) Read the message as a BLOB and REPLACE the bad text before you parse the BLOB into a message tree.

3) Get the source of the messy XML to clean up their act.

It does occur to me that we need an XML parser with the same functionality that DFDL brings to TDS/CSV data. Here we can try a series of options in the parsing. That would be a more elegant way of doing it.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Simbu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

If I'm correct, you are using XMLNS parser to parse your xml message. Correct me If i'm wrong

Quote:
The XMLNS parser preserves all parts of an XML document, including white space formatting
mqceries
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Yes i am using XMLNSC... tried REPLACE function before but not able to get the desired results...

Thanks and appreciate your replies..
dogorsy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
tried REPLACE function before but not able to get the desired results...

can you please elaborate?... what does your code look like ?, have you looked at a user trace to see why you are not getting the desired results ?
smdavies99 suggestion of reading the message as a BLOB is a good one, remove the offending chars and then parse as XML, have you tried it ?
kimbert
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Quote:
1) If you are using XMLNSC to create your message tree you could always use the REPLACE function to remove the offending characters.
Well, you could do that with any domain, including XMLNSC. In fact, the question is not even an XML question really ( except that the OP's actual problem comes from an XML input message ).

The question could be put like this: I have an element in the message tree with a CHARACTER value, but it might contain leading and trailing white space. How do I trim off any leading and trailing whitespace so that I can reliably compare the value with a constant CHARACTER value?

Hopefully that gives you a strong hint about which string function to search for in the info center. If not, feel free to ask.
kimbert
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I do not recommend the parse-as-BLOB solution. That might trim away white space that is not 'padding' ( not leading or trailing ). So the value of this tag:
Code:
<value>   one two three   </value>
would become
Code:
onetwothree
when the correct result would be
Code:
one two three

smdavies99
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

kimbert wrote:
I do not recommend the parse-as-BLOB solution. That might trim away white space that is not 'padding'

That's why I suggested option 3) above.

I'd really try to get the input data cleaned up before it hits Broker. The other methods are purely a hack to get round the problem. Not elegant and not nice but sometimes it is the only way.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
mqceries
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

we have a time constraint and they are not listening to clean up the xml before they send to us..

Did a work around as planned (thought not to entertain them ,but had to).

parsed X'0A' and X'09' new line and horizontal tab parsed then used REPLACE twice and finally TRIM to make sure..

In case if this helps later on..

Code:

DECLARE cNewLine CHAR CAST(X'0A' AS CHARACTER  CCSID InputRoot.Properties.CodedCharSetId ENCODING InputRoot.Properties.Encoding);
      DECLARE tTabChar CHAR CAST(X'09'  AS CHARACTER  CCSID InputRoot.Properties.CodedCharSetId ENCODING InputRoot.Properties.Encoding);

SET EV.PData7=REPLACE(EV.PData,cNewLine,'');
     SET EV.PData8=REPLACE(EV.PData7, tTabChar,'');
SET EV.PData9=TRIM(EV.PData8);

Result:

Pdata  value\n\t\t
           value\t\t
           value
Pdata

SET EV.PData9=TRIM(EV.PData8);
dogorsy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

kimbert wrote:
I do not recommend the parse-as-BLOB solution. That might trim away white space that is not 'padding' ( not leading or trailing ). So the value of this tag:
Code:
<value>   one two three   </value>
would become
Code:
onetwothree
when the correct result would be
Code:
one two three

yes, sorry, I misunderstood the input value, I though the OP meant the character string "Value\t\t\t\t\n" but that means Value followed by special characters.. not very well explained.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How to compare two xml values in esql
Jump to: