ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Duplicate queue manager names

Duplicate queue manager names « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
eva555
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Duplicate queue manager names Reply with quote

Novice

I know its a very bad idea to have duplicate qmgr names in a network. But we have an unavoidable situation in qmgr migration.

Only half of the applications would be connecting to the migrated qmgr and other half needs to connect to the old qmgr. And both qmgr needs to be with the same name. Its a DQM set up and both the old and migrated server are not sharing a VIP.

Will this still cause issues in message flows?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Are these queue managers going to be in a cluster? If so, bad idea! If not, why the necessity to have the same name - hard-coded in the apps perchance?
eva555
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

They are not in clusters.

Actually its an old interface and we are not sure how many and how they connect to the qmgr. The known interface we migrate and rest are to connect to the old qmgr... But all of these qmgrs are NOT part of any MQ clusters. Its totally a distributed queueing
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

eva555 wrote:
Actually its an old interface and we are not sure how many and how they connect to the qmgr. The known interface we migrate and rest are to connect to the old qmgr... But all of these qmgrs are NOT part of any MQ clusters. Its totally a distributed queueing

So find out how they are connected. If it's hard coded you've been painted into a corner; if not, use a new name for your queue manager.
queuemanager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Technically there are no issues if the VIPs/PORT are going to be different but operationally you may have difficulties while deciding which server to logon and check the issue.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

queuemanager wrote:
Technically there are no issues if the VIPs/PORT are going to be different but operationally you may have difficulties while deciding which server to logon and check the issue.

And you have hit the nail squarely on the head...
rcp_mq
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Would you consider an alias queue manager, if you can't reconcile hard coding?
(Just a thought)
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

rcp_mq wrote:
Would you consider an alias queue manager, if you can't reconcile hard coding?
(Just a thought)

If the apps bind there's no way to 'fool' the app with a different name, and if the apps are client and passing a specific name that's been hard-coded then same thing. Queue manager aliases are more an internal routing/rerouting mechanism.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Duplicate queue manager names
Jump to: