ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Java PCF - MQIACF_FORCE to clear open queue fails

Java PCF - MQIACF_FORCE to clear open queue fails « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
petmor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Java PCF - MQIACF_FORCE to clear open queue fails Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

I wrote some Java using the PCF API to clear unwanted messages from queues. Here is an excerpt:

for (int i = 0; i < s.length; i++) {
PCFMessage request = new PCFMessage(CMQCFC.MQCMD_CLEAR_Q);
request.addParameter(CMQC.MQCA_Q_NAME, s[i]);

try {
pcfCM.agent.send(request);
} catch (PCFException e) {
}

This works fine except on queues held open by a process. I want to clear those queues also, so I added a line "request.addParameter(CMQCFC.MQIACF_FORCE, CMQCFC.MQFC_YES);" to specify FORCE, but this results in a "3020 (0BCC) (RC3020): MQRCCF_PARM_COUNT_TOO_BIG'". The code with FORCE is pasted below.

for (int i = 0; i < s.length; i++) {
PCFMessage request = new PCFMessage(CMQCFC.MQCMD_CLEAR_Q);
request.addParameter(CMQC.MQCA_Q_NAME, s[i]);
request.addParameter(CMQCFC.MQIACF_FORCE, CMQCFC.MQFC_YES);

try {
pcfCM.agent.send(request);
} catch (PCFException e) {
}

Obviously I am not using the option properly, so what am I doing incorrectly, and what is the proper way to specify FORCE without throwing the RC3020?

Thanks!

Peter
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Well, first of all, there isn't a valid FORCE parameter for the Clear Queue PCF message...

Secondly, you really don't likely want to clear messages out from underneath a running application.

Thirdly, if you do want to clear them, the only reliable way is to GET them.
petmor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks mqjeff for your reply. I only tried Force because the suggested Programmer Response for MQRC4004 recommends "Wait until the object is not in use, and then retry the operation. Alternatively specify Force as MQFC_YES for a change command." I would not have known otherwise without your input.

I agree it is a bad idea to purge messages from open queues. This process runs only on one of our development servers as a clean-up job, where the purged messages will not be missed.

I'll try a GET instead. Thanks again!

Peter
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

petmor wrote:
Thanks mqjeff for your reply. I only tried Force because the suggested Programmer Response for MQRC4004 recommends "Wait until the object is not in use, and then retry the operation. Alternatively specify Force as MQFC_YES for a change command."

That's being technical about the meaning of "change command".

It means a Change PCF message or an Alter MQSC command, neither of which are the Clear command.

MQExplorer gives you a popup to either use Clear or to use MQGET - again because CLEAR doesn't have a FORCE option.

In general, if you're doing anything with PCF messages, keep the docs handy.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Java PCF - MQIACF_FORCE to clear open queue fails
Jump to: