ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQ logs Access Date

MQ logs Access Date « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rammer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: MQ logs Access Date Reply with quote

Partisan

Hello

Environment (test)
Windows MQ Version 7.1.0.1 and also 6.0.2.10
Circular Logs

Scenario
The MQ Transaction Logs last show modified 23/3/2013 on the version 6 QM, yet I know data has been flowing more recently, and inspecting the content of the latest file it indeed does show messages being recorded yesterday 26/3/2013

Today I created a test QM on windows 7.1.0.1 and dropped some messages into queues again the latest log file is not updated in windows for modification time / date but inspecting the log the test message can be seen

27/03/2013 10:42 16,778,240 S0000000.LOG
27/03/2013 10:41 16,778,240 S0000001.LOG
27/03/2013 10:41 16,778,240 S0000002.LOG

From log s00000000.LOG <\amqsput.exe2013032711085397 >

Doing the same on AIX does not mirror what I see on Windows ie the log file date / time stamp is updated.

The only reason I was looking at this was developers were telling me some data had not his a end system they were expecting. All queues were clear etc and checking the circular logs I noticed windows was showing them as not being modified for over 3 days which at first lead me to think they had never actually carried out a PUT. Only on inspecting the content of the logs I could see data has been written over the past 3 days, so I had to retract my quick thought that the developers had not actually sent any data

I'm more intrigued if others have seen this or if it something documented that I am missing in the info centres.

Thanks
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Don't know what you are complaining about. Date time in S0000000.LOG is more recent than on S...1.LOG and S....2.LOG! Working as designed!
rammer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

fjb_saper wrote:
Don't know what you are complaining about. Date time in S0000000.LOG is more recent than on S...1.LOG and S....2.LOG! Working as designed!

Correct it is more recent it has time stamp of 10:42 yet data has been written to it after that, as per the example here amqsput.exe2013032711085397 11:08 which is some time after 10:42! thats working as designed?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Why do you think it is MQ that is failing to update the modification time on an OS level file?

What value do you expect to gain from monitoring the modification time on primary log files?

What does the Info Center say on how primary log files are created, updated, and managed?
rammer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

mqjeff wrote:
Why do you think it is MQ that is failing to update the modification time on an OS level file?

I dont think its MQ I was just suprised that I didnt see the update time in Windows. The log file clearly shows new entries in it than what windows is reporting.

mqjeff wrote:
What value do you expect to gain from monitoring the modification time on primary log files?

I dont monitor the files typically I was just intrigued today as developer was telling me he had sent a message but gave me no clues on the message so I quickly used the transaction log to find the detail I needed, which is when I noticed data had been committed to the logs but Windows had not upped the time stamp of the file by some 3 + days on the server I was investigating

mqjeff wrote:
What does the Info Center say on how primary log files are created, updated, and managed?

I am not really questioining how MQ handles the logs etc, my query is why Windows time stamp does not reflect when a log has been written to correctly in terms of one server it shows data consistently written to for 3 days but the time stamp does not reflect this at all.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

rammer wrote:
mqjeff wrote:

I am not really questioining how MQ handles the logs etc, my query is why Windows time stamp does not reflect when a log has been written to correctly in terms of one server it shows data consistently written to for 3 days but the time stamp does not reflect this at all.

Fair deal, but the point still remains.

MQ preallocates primary log files, that is to say it creates them at full size at once - or at least it creates and modifies them in fixed, large, chunks.

Windows apparently is choosing to decide that an alteration in the bytes in that fixed size does not constitute a modification of the file...

depending on whether these drives are natively hosted on the hardware running the OS running hte queue manager or whether they are shared drives from somewhere else, using some kind of mechanism, may also have a significant impact on what Windows chooses to report.

rammer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Thanks for the response mqjeff.

I have just re-read my post and I am off for some English lessons. My spelling and grammar within the post is terrible, you did well to understand it!
Mangesh1187
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:
Windows apparently is choosing to decide that an alteration in the bytes in that fixed size does not constitute a modification of the file...

Hi mqjeff, I still little conused about the above quoted statement. Can you plesae more elaoberate this point.

rammer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I thnk Jeff's answer really was a " no idea" Ive logged onto the server again today and the log file is still being written to but windows is not updating the time / date stamp!. In terms of bytes allocated to it etc I am unsure that holds as I notice all other files accessed and modified on windows are updated including the error files etc. The MQ Transaction logs are having a lot more written to it as well..
If I get chance later tonight I will blast some data into the logs to force it to move onto the next circular one to see what windows does with that in temrs of time stamps etc.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

"no idea" is pretty close.

What I was attempting to say is that suppose I create a file and I write one thousand blank spaces to that file.

I then go back and rewrite the first 100 blank spaces to be 100 tab characters instead.

I haven't changed the size of the file, I haven't changed the number of bytes in the file, all I've done is changed the contents of those bytes.

I don't know if windows will report this as a modification of the file or not. One would *expect* that it *should*. But, hey, it's windows.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQ logs Access Date
Jump to: