ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » WMQ Multi-instance queue managers, listener ports

WMQ Multi-instance queue managers, listener ports « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: WMQ Multi-instance queue managers, listener ports Reply with quote

Jedi Council

We are considering moving from HA/CMP to software HA (Multi-instance).

With HA/CMP - the same IP address is moved to the other node when it takes over. This makes life very simple in MQ client connection terms.

With MI - it doesn't move the IP, which presents difficulties running MQ client connected applications that don't use a CCDT and don't support multiple connection addresses, in terms of reaching a newly active node.

One solution with MI may be to "hide" the active QM's IP address behind a load-balancer like Big-IP and have it transparently switch to the new active QM when it takes over.

My question is - does the standby QM in a MI set up have its MQ listener port open or not?

Does it start the listener on active takeover and stop it when becoming standby?

If it's open all the time, how can Big IP avoid directing MQ connections to the standby node?

What I want is for Big IP to route new MQ client connections to the active queue manager only and never to the standby one.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: WMQ Multi-instance queue managers, listener ports Reply with quote

Jedi Council

zpat wrote:
Does it start the listener on active takeover and stop it when becoming standby?

There is only one Listener, the one that is defined as an object within the queue manager, so when the 'active' node 'fails' so does the Listener.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You're right, MI does not move any IP addresses.

The theory behind MI queue managers is that every caller that needs to talk to the listener has *both* IP addresses as part of the connection.

This does not stop you from defining a qmgr service to manage the location of a virtual IP address, such that when the queue manager starts, it registers the virtual ip address at the current host - in the same way that HACMP moves the virtual ip address as part of the failover process.

An MI queue manager instance running in standby mode has a minimal footprint - there is just enough active to check the locks on the shared file system to make sure that the other instance of the queue manager is still running. So the listener is *not* running on the standby instance, as exerk says.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Yes, although we would probably use BigIP to re-direct traffic.

However I have another question. If we relied upon NFS in this way - then the NFS server itself needs to be highly available.

How do people generally achieve that, without using HA/CMP (otherwise we might as well use HA/CMP on the queue manager directly)?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

zpat wrote:
Yes, although we would probably use BigIP to re-direct traffic.

However I have another question. If we relied upon NFS in this way - then the NFS server itself needs to be highly available.

How do people generally achieve that, without using HA/CMP (otherwise we might as well use HA/CMP on the queue manager directly)?

2 words: SAN & N A S

Last edited by fjb_saper on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Yes, but SAN storage has to be attached to something that can provide the NFS server.

Our N A S offers NFS, but it can't do SRDF (which we need as well).

NB: I think this BB substitutes "contact admin" for N A S ! (WTF?)
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Right, so MI requires 'shared storage', and clearly at least implies that that storage is highly available.

But nothing says it has to be NFS shared storage. There are at least a couple more options listed as specifically tested and supported. And at least one option specifically mentioned as "we know this *doesn't* work".
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

OK, but how would other forms of shared storage become visible to the standby instances when one host failed?

With NFS - both active and standby can see the NFS file system and file locking is used to determine who gets to play with it.

With ordinary SAN, it would need mounting on the other host and this is what HA/CMP does on failover. I don't believe it can be mounted on two hosts at the same time.

I guess GPFS may be one answer.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

'Shared storage' exactly and explicitly means 'mounted on both servers at the same time'.

It absolutely does not mean 'mounted on the other server during failover'.

MI uses the shared storage to *determine* that failover *should* occur.

Therefore, MI requires that the same disk be visible *at all times* to *both* servers.

NFSv4 certainly provides this. The OTHER mentioned shared storage technologies that IBM says are supported for MI *also* provides this.

Yes, GPFS certainly provides this as well.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I am not entirely sure what documentation you are referring to.

So what are the available storage sharing technologies for Power 7 and AIX?
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

zpat wrote:
I am not entirely sure what documentation you are referring to.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/fa70111_.htm

zpat wrote:
So what are the available storage sharing technologies for Power 7 and AIX?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21433474

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » WMQ Multi-instance queue managers, listener ports
Jump to: