ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ Monitoring

MQ Monitoring « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dzifchock
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: MQ Monitoring Reply with quote

Apprentice

Does anyone use Oracle Enterprise Manager's plugin for monitoring WebSphere MQ?

If so what is your experience, good/bad ? We already own Enterprise Manager so spending money on another 3rd party monitoring tool is probably out of the question, currently we have developed shell scripts to monitor the system, so it would be nice to have everything under one umbrella and to also not have to maintain scripts.
gs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Sorry, haven't tried it out but please post your thoughts on the product in case you choose to implement it.
SAFraser
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

We discussed it at one time, but I never saw a demo or anything. Typically products such as Oracle Enterprise Manager, for which MQ monitoring was an afterthought, are not optimal. If I had a choice between homegrown scripts or a third party product, though, I'd almost always expect the third party product would be superior.

I, too, would be very interested in your experiences. Thanks.
dzifchock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

If all you're looking for is queue depth high alerts, qmgr up/down, channel alerts then EM is pretty quick and easy to setup. If you have qmgr clusters it will automatically pickup all cluster members and you will be able to monitor all aspects of the cluster members.

If anyone plans to use it, make sure you are using the 10.2.0.4 Oracle EM agent or higher, or the agent won't clean up its connections nicely and you will have 100s of channel processes on your server.

Also it uses the SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN channel by default and this is not configurable. If you use security exits, you will need to disable the exit to allow it to do the discovery. Once it discovers your queue managers you can re-enable the exit and it will work fine.
George Carey
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: em and mq Reply with quote

Knight

Can you point me to documentation on the plug in ... is it a support pac ?

They use Oracle EM at our shop ... I am reticent to use it for MQ but would like to know more about it to make a proper assessment.
Or is it from Oracle that one gets it.

Rgrds
dzifchock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

It should be a plugin that comes with EM 10.2.0.4 When setting it up the Help section in EM is pretty straight forward
benoymq
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dzifchock,

I am in the process of enabling this feature on our OEM 11g, and I don't see anywhere how to enable this feature. I know you've mentioned this plugin comes withit and we can enable it during setup, but it's been set up already by another admin some time ago, and I am just trying to enable this feature. Could you please help? Do you have any documentation from your install? Any help would be apprecaited.
thanks

-Benoy Paul
gganebnyi
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a good idea to give QFlex 4 a try. It has a lot of monitoring, recovery and reporting options.
Here is recommendation from forum user: http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=295019#295019

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » MQ Monitoring
Jump to: