ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Websphere MQ .Net help code 2035 = Not Authorized

Websphere MQ .Net help code 2035 = Not Authorized « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ranjha100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Websphere MQ .Net help code 2035 = Not Authorized Reply with quote

Novice

I am trying to connect to Websphere MQ 7.0.1.4 server running on SunOS 5.10 using C# code.

MQQueueManager queueManager = new MQQueueManager("QM_testmgr", "mychannel", "host");

However, I am getting code 2035 = Not Authorized.

When I try to connect through Java code, I am able to make the connection without any errors.

I read somewhere that when connecting through .net, the MCA of the remote channel has to be set.

My question is how do I do that on the server side on SunOS. I am not very good with UNIX but I have access to the machine to submit whatever commands I need to.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Websphere MQ .Net help code 2035 = Not Authorized Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ranjha100 wrote:
I am trying to connect to Websphere MQ 7.0.1.4 server running on SunOS 5.10 using C# code.

MQQueueManager queueManager = new MQQueueManager("QM_testmgr", "mychannel", "host");

However, I am getting code 2035 = Not Authorized.

When I try to connect through Java code, I am able to make the connection without any errors.

I read somewhere that when connecting through .net, the MCA of the remote channel has to be set.

My question is how do I do that on the server side on SunOS. I am not very good with UNIX but I have access to the machine to submit whatever commands I need to.

Use MQExplorer to do that...
ranjha100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Websphere MQ .Net help code 2035 = Not Authorized Reply with quote

Novice

fjb_saper wrote:

Use MQExplorer to do that...

i am a newbie with UNIX, how do you use MQExlorer in Solaris? I can login to the machine using Putty, but don't know what commands to submit. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You use the MQExplorer from windows to attach to the Solaris QMGR. Presumably on a channel you have authority on...
Then setup the parameters for your channel...

Otherwise look at the setmqaut command. Ask your MQ Admin to run it on solaris... and remember to work at group level and not principal level...

Have fun
WBI_User21
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

.net application always send user-id under which application is running while establishing connection to the QMGR (if you are not setting user-id in the code explicitly). QMGR OAM checks if user-id is authorised to connect to QM before granting connection.
You can follow one of these methods to get rid of 2035 error:
1. Add application userid in mqm group on UNIX server and refresh security on QMGR. This will grant application userid admin privleges (i.e app can perfor ALTER and DELETE operation on MQ objects) which is a risk.

2. You can add application userid in MCA user attribute of server connection channel
ALTER CHL(<CHLNAME>) chltype(SVRCONN) mcauser('<APPUSERID>')

3. Or you can have different unix group created on MQ server and grant restricted privileges (i.e MQCONN/X,MQPUT,MQOPEN,MQGET, MQCMIT etc )to the group using setmqaut command and have application userid added in the group...

4. Consider SSL...
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

WBI_User21 wrote:
1. Add application userid in mqm group on UNIX server and refresh security on QMGR. This will grant application userid admin privleges (i.e app can perfor ALTER and DELETE operation on MQ objects) which is a risk.

NO! Don't ever suggest this, even with the qualification you provided.

WBI_User21 wrote:
3. Or you can have different unix group created on MQ server and grant restricted privileges (i.e MQCONN/X,MQPUT,MQOPEN,MQGET, MQCMIT etc )to the group using setmqaut command and have application userid added in the group

This was closer and should have been your first suggestion. No application IDs should ever be in any group that has any form of administrative control, limited or otherwise.
WBI_User21
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Thanks exerk ...
I understand the risk. But other 2 solutions are much complicated and demands UNIX admin skills. Consider an env. where queue mgr is accessed in client mode shared across multiple applications (50 +) for different environments . I need to create 50 + different groups and add them into UNIX group with restricted privileges on MQ or we need to run setmqaut against each queue and run this whenever new interface is deployed.

I would prefer to add user in mqm group and enable config events on the queue manager and trap the application and raise high alert if there is any attempt to modify or tamper QM objects.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

WBI_User21 wrote:
Thanks exerk ...
I understand the risk. But other 2 solutions are much complicated and demands UNIX admin skills. Consider an env. where queue mgr is accessed in client mode shared across multiple applications (50 +) for different environments . I need to create 50 + different groups and add them into UNIX group with restricted privileges on MQ or we need to run setmqaut against each queue and run this whenever new interface is deployed.

Script it!

WBI_User21 wrote:
I would prefer to add user in mqm group and enable config events on the queue manager and trap the application and raise high alert if there is any attempt to modify or tamper QM objects.

By the time you've trapped the attempt it will already be too late. Re-arrange the following words into a well known phrase: door, bolting, horse, stable, the, after etc.

Being an admin is about making life easy - and you can't do that when the security people are shining a very bright light in your face and asking you why and how the security breach happened.
WBI_User21
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Thanks again .. I don't disagree and security is paramount. Our project do follow complex process for .. though we have trusted applications and api's used in app. are controlled and distributed by MQ admins. There should have been easier way to do this. In my opinion, IBM should have come up with unix/windows group with restricted privileges (like mquser with dis/connect/open/put/get/cmit/rollback permission only) which is in-built in the product itself. This would have made life of mq admins easy ..
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

WBI_User21 wrote:

So you do prefer to have a lock on the door to your house, or just leave the door open and have a really good alarm that reports to the police that something's just been stolen?

I put it to your that your audit & security people will be unimpressed by your ability to determine when fraud has occured & will insist you instead take some measures to prevent it.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

WBI_User21 wrote:
though we have trusted applications and api's used in app. are controlled and distributed by MQ admins.

So does every large organization, yet they still take the time and effort to set up security properly.

WBI_User21 wrote:
There should have been easier way to do this.

There is. It's called "scripting".

WBI_User21 wrote:
In my opinion, IBM should have come up with unix/windows group with restricted privileges (like mquser with dis/connect/open/put/get/cmit/rollback permission only) which is in-built in the product itself.

They did. There's a specific option in the setmqauth command to set that group of permissions to a group. As to setting up such groups at install time, how much effort is that to do this post-install with a script?

The answer is "not much", because I've done it a number of times.
WBI_User21
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Thanks for criticism .. I don't deny that scripting is easier. I do it in my project too ...and there is little overhead of book keeping which can't be avoided ...
But let me put couple of points on the table which might put the things in perspective. If you have happened to work on Oracle database administration - you will realise that point I am trying to make. Oracle installer checks for two UNIX groups dba, dboperator groups (sorry - I don't remember exact group names). By default installer grants users in dba gets SYSDBA privileges on database where as users in dboperator will have lesser privileges which is required to connect to database.
Why not have similar mechanism in MQ!!
I am trying to compare Oracle and MQ security aspects .. and seems to be Oracle has got much better and easier approaches.
I know that Oracle and MQ are different products with different purposes .. but security aspect is no different.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

WBI_User21 wrote:
I know that Oracle and MQ are different products with different purposes .. but security aspect is no different.

You are wrong.

I refer you to the WMQ Security manual (or InfoCenter equivalent).

Do you grant root authority to everyone? It would certainly be easier than creating application-oriented groups - each with appropriate (limited) permissions?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Compare this:
By default users not in an MQ admin group or connecting remotely (V 7.5) have NO access granted to them!...
So you tell me, which is the more secure product, WMQ or Oracle?
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You're comparing apples and oranges - Oracle is a database, WMQ is not. As with any differing products, some aspects of security will be common, but far more will not be.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Websphere MQ .Net help code 2035 = Not Authorized
Jump to: